Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Bad...

A few days after I had the drawing for Trade and Win, I got a package in the mail that I had forgotten about. A reader named Mike had offered a single card to me so he could participate in the contest. I guess since at least two weeks had passed, I figured he had forgotten about it, so I went ahead with the contest. As it turned out, he had more than one card to offer.

1982 Topps #118 Expos Future Stars

Francona became a star manager more than twenty years later, and Smith was pretty good. Not so for Brad Mills. Sorry, Brad.

1982 Topps #683 Phil Garner

I scanned this one wide of the edges so you could see that the card was very rough and tumble, just like Scrap Iron was. I would really have this card no other way. This one makes my All-Pinch team. What does that mean, you ask? Check between the cheek and gum.

2001-02 Topps #256 Alvin Jones

I didn't think anyone would trade me any of these, and I was delighted to get one cad closer to completion. This set is actually very low on my priority list, but it is a fun challenge. As the 57th pick in the draft, it would be hard to really consider Jones a bust, washing out after one season and a 1.1 ppg average. But then consider a guy who I went to high school with, Mike Wilks, who went undrafted the same year and has managed to hang on in the NBA for years. Sure, his career stat line looks like the NBA standings from your morning newspaper, but he's still around. Not bad for a 5' 10" Milwaukee kid.

Sorry, Mike, I'll get in touch with you and send you something in return.

No comments: