Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Trade Me Anything! III: Trade #8

As you may already know, dayf's always in on this piece, and this year is no different. Dude's traded me MLB-themed AOL discs, Packers with Afros, and even some collectable pirate punch-out pieces game that I had no clue what to do with. This year he sent me a big ol' envelope. Let's see what's inside.

Giving: 2009 Topps Updates & Highlights #UH152 Barbaro (I'm Not the Horse) Canizares, Topps Town Blue #TTT74 Brian McCann, and Turkey Red #TR110 Yunel Escobar

Getting: Three comic books: Mystery Incorporated #1, Miami Mice #1, and Mantra #5...

...Zombies Don't Play Soccer Audiobook...

...a pack of 1989 Donruss baseball cards...

...and a 5-spot of commons I needed for my '09 U&H set

Pluses:
*dayf knows I'm down with the comics. Most of my collection is made up of books from the two big publishers, Marvel and DC, so it's nice to get to take a look at something else. I mainly collect Batman books, Green Lantern, anything by Garth Ennis, Silver Surfer, Daredevil, any Justice League titles, Marvel G.I. Joe books, and the guaranteed laugh-a-page Deadpool. I just raided Half Price Books' clearance boxes, so with these I should be good and stocked up until the holidays.

As you can see above, I need to do a little cleaning. It's OK if cards and comics are mixed, but a little order needs to be restored. And are those 2007 Topps Heritage felts sitting on a Preacher trade paperback? Indeed they are. I would also like to make a disclaimer about the empty box of MLS cards at the far right. They were a free gift from Dave and Adam's, and they were the least fun I have ever had opening a box of cards. Yuck.

*dayf stuck little notes all over everything he traded me. I removed most of them, but left in a few of the funnier ones. There's the "boobs" one on Mantra above, and here's one from the back of the same ish.

*One of the notes informed me that the creator of Miami Mice, Mark Bode, is the son of the cartoonist Vaughn Bode. I previously only knew the name from the Beastie Boys song but never really checked into who he was. Consider my horizons broadened.

*The '89 D'russ is some good ammo for a video pack break. This works out perfectly because I've lined up a celebrity ripper who will stop by to open it. I won't tell you who it is, but I'll give you a clue: Awful hair.
Stay tuned...

Minuses:
*An audiobook is no good to a teacher unless it is accompanied by a set of actual books, preferably no fewer than five. Consider this destined for the prize box.

The trades from dayf keep getting crazier. I can't wait until next year's.

1 comment:

dayf said...

You like Garth Ennis? I picked up his "Dicks" series for a buck on eBay a few years ago, let me know if you need them.

I stole the sticky note thing from Heartbreaking Cards. That Mantra cover so amused me I accidentally bought two copies from a 5 cent clearance box. Be careful with Vaughn Bode, minds can be blown by his stuff pretty easily.

I can't wait for the pack rip. The guy I got the pack from swore that they weren't searched. I'm feeling a Griffey or two out of that one...