Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It's Real, and It's Spectacular!

Exactly one month ago, I sent out an APB to the internet's legion of Fake Patch Sniffers to take a gander at a Robin Yount card I was thinking about buying. The card in question had an unusual swatch color and was being advertised as a patch card. On a normal Yount card, blue and yellow together means a patch, but this is something else altogether. Thanks to anyone who commented and put their two cents in. As it turned out, I decided to buy it after all. It came a few weeks ago and has been sitting on my "to-post" pile. Let's check it out.
2002 Topps Archives Reserve Reprint Relic (1982 Topps Game-Used Yellow/Blue) #TRR-RYU
To the touch, there is no demarcation of thickness between the blue and yellow portions. This confirms that this is not a patch card, but some other part of the jersey. The observations by dayf and I Am Joe Collector regarding the era during which this card was produced (in the relative toddler-hood of game-used jersey cards of 2002) seem on point: Topps (and other companies) had not yet designated patch cards as something more desirable than normal swatches. So what is this piece of cloth, then? In my view, is has to be from the area known as "cuffs and collar." Take a gander at this picture of successful Brewers batter Gorman Thomas, clothed in the garb of the day.

The edges of his sleeves and his collar seem to mimic the material on this card. Plus, there's a sweet uniform spot called the waistband that contains the same colors. My heart makes me hope that this swatch is from the collar, but my brain is telling me it was part of his sleeve. Awesome either way.

5 comments:

Ken said...

Ha ha...nice ode to Seinfeld in the title.

That Yount card is AWESOME! And it comes from one of the best sets all-time. I have the normal version but I've never seen one like that.

About how much did that cost if you don't mind?

Anonymous said...

The road pants of the early 90s also had that pattern on the piping.

Jeff said...

Yup - looks a lot like this one that I used to own.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/toppsheritage/Patch%20Cards/yount.jpg

cardboardicons said...

Awesome swatch!

Sharpe said...

So what set or series is this card a part of? I'm completely unfamiliar, but totally in awe . . .