Thursday, December 17, 2009

On-Location Reporting: Baseball and Burgers

Yes, I am still doing the Five-Fiddy Group Break... the AL Central and West will be posted this weekend, and all of the NL stuff has been mailed. On a related note, I have to share with you the unusual request and the subsequent fulfillment of this request that involved loads of delicious, not-so-greasy fast food.

If you are fortunate enough to live in an area that has a Culver's restaurant nearby, I don't have to tell you how good the food is. Their Butter Burgers are the best ones available in this area (well, maybe second after Kopp's), and the custard is heavenly. As chance would have it, dayf wanted in on the group break, and he also had a favor to ask. Apparently his workplace has some dealings with the Culver's chain, even though there are none to be found the the metro Atlanta area. In an effort to be seen as a team player, he requested that I, resident of the state where Culver's can trace its origins, send him some memorabilia that he could proudly display at his desk whenever the stuffed suits should happen to walk by. Fast food is still considered a treat at the Thorzul household, so I had no problem trying to fulfill this request.

The franchise nearest to me is actually a half mile or so south of Miller Park, and being locally owned, it is decked out with some great baseball gear, including several mounted and framed original 1960s and 1970s cards. The problem with this, however, is that during this holiday season, these frames have been covered with wrapping paper in order to create a more festive atmosphere in the restaurant. It looks like big, half-inch deep presents are hanging on the walls. I get it, but I am not exactly thrilled with the choice. Thankfully, a couple of year-round decoratons were left untouched. Here is a shot of two of the pennants Milwaukee has been able to display, the 1957 World Series title and the 1982 AL Championship.

Just past the drink dispenser sits an even cooler piece of memorabilia. How many hamburger joints in this world can boast a signed Warren Spahn jersey and photograph on its wall? How awesome is that?

Once the holidays are behind us, I'm sure the interior decoration scheme will return to normal. A proper post will surely be made.

As for dayf, I got him a whole bunch of swag for his cubicle. He's getting a genuine fries wrapper...

...and a flyer for Culver's Late Night Specials. I had no idea they even had tacos and nachos on their menu. I'm usually in my pajamas by 9 p.m., so I might not make it often, but I'll put forth the effort some night.

These are actually the two worst things I sent to dayf, so I'll let him show off the real treasures of the package once he receives them. If there's a Culver's near you, go get a Snack Pack. If not, write your congressman.

2 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

Several years ago, Culver's opened in Rockwall, Tx (far east suburb of Dallas) and it is worth the drive.

Matt F. said...

I went to college with the CEO's son and there was always talk of taking the Culver's jet for a joy ride.