Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Cheapo Doubler Break: Braves, Royals

Next!

Teams: Braves, Royals
Buyer: SpastikMooss
Favorite Cards: 1997 Upper Deck Collector's Choice #326 Chipper Jones - Ken Griffey Jr.'s Hot List, 1999 Upper Deck MVP #98 Carlos Beltran Silver Script


Thoughts: I certainly wasn't paying enough attention to cards (or to baseball in general) back in 1998. I suppose that happens when you're a sophomore on the campus of what had recently been voted one of America's top party schools. But still, I have no recollection of Carlos Beltran as a Kansas City Royal. Guess that makes sense, as I have little recollection of the early morning hours of October 3, 1998. Or October 10th. Still a little fuzzy on the 17th. You know what, to be on the safe side, let's call it all of the fall/winter semester of 1998/99.

The Chipper is shiny and understated. However, I'm not sure how I'd feel seeing my name on Ken Griffey, Jr.'s "Hot List." As legend would have it, Jay Buhner acted as a go-between for Jones and Griffey. Apparently, Jones wanted to know if Griffey merely "liked him," or if he "liked him liked him." To further confuse matters, Chipper consulted a paper fortune teller, only to find after lifting the flap that he "smell(s) like poo."

No inserts or parallels for the Braves, so SpastikMooss is getting this 2009 Topps Unique Red Parallel #127 Nate McLouth (0725/1199).

1 comment:

SpastikMooss said...

ooo! The McLouth is pretty, and I have a Hot List Mo Vaughn that Chipper can hang out with now. Nice cards, thank you sir!