Friday, January 15, 2010

Cheapo Doubler Break: Indians, Astros

I'm trying to get through these as fast as possible, I promise, but with so much Bipping, it's hard to keep up. All of the teams I've posted prior to these have been mailed, so if you haven't gotten your cards yet, they will be there soon. I thank the rest of you for your patience. Except Beardy.

Teams: Indians, Astros
Buyer: BASEBALL DAD
Favorite Cards: 2004 Skybox Limited Edition #44 C.C. Sabathia, 1996 Score #31 Dennis Martinez Dugout Collection, 2002 Flair #16 Roy Oswalt, Circa '97 #102 Jeff Bagwell




Thoughts: Carly Simon was actually foreshadowing the existence of Sabathia when she wrote the line, "Your hat strategically dipped below one eye." I don't see an apricot scarf, but we haven't checked the big man's locker yet. And, yes, I suppose you could call that a "gavotte."

I can still remember where I was when I heard that Dennis Martinez had pitched a perfect game. I was in an airport in San Jose, Puerto Rico, waiting to board a BWIA connecting flight to St. Lucia. It's good to see Martinez didn't let that success go to his head, sticking with the same awesome feathery black hair. Hell, considering the era, he could have shaved "El Presidente" into the sides of that coif, and no one would have batted an eye. Stand-up dude, and always happy, yes?

And those Astros, huh? Chock full o' stars during this time period. Looking at their roster, I'm surprised they only went to the World Series once during the Killer B's era.

No inserts or parallels for the 'stros, so here's a throw-in: 2008 Topps #656 Darrin Erstad Gold Parallel (0215/2008)

1 comment:

BASEBALL DAD said...

Thanks for the post. I do need the Martinez and the Astros are for my oldest son.