Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cheapo Doubler Break: Phillies, Pirates

All Pennsylvania, all the time.

Teams: Phillies, Pirates
Buyer: capewood
Favorite Cards: 2006 Topps Chrome #143 Zach Duke, 1998 Topps Stadium Club #394 Bob Abreu Transactions

Thoughts: The Pirates had nothing good to speak of, save for a Doug Drabek "Big Head" 1991 Score All-Star, but that's too old and too plentiful to be my best card, so I went with the shiny Duke. The Abreu Transactions card made me do some research. After a short stint with Houston, Abreu was claimed by the Devil Rays in the expansion draft, but would never play for them. Only a few hours later, he was traded to the Phillies for Kevin Stocker. Let's take a look at how that trade went for both teams: Abreu made the All-Star team in 2004 and 2005. Kevin "Don't Call Me Mel" Stocker batted .247 in two years for the D-Rays, then fell out of baseball altogether. As the cloud to this silver lining, it appears that getting rid of Bobby Abreu is the key to winning the World Series. The Phillies did it, and they won two years later. For the Yankees, it took one season sans Abreu to win some hardware.

Sooooooo, I'm guessing the Angels would be smart to tear up the contract extension he signed.

No hits for either team, so I've got to find a few throw-ins. Let me go check my stash.



Okay, thanks for waiting. Capewood is getting 2007 Topps #UH23 Tadahito Iguchi Gold Parallel (0823/2007) and a 2009 Topps Unique #196 Andrew McCutchen Red Parallel (0153/1199).

3 comments:

Tony Brown said...

No comments about Andrew McCutchen's ponytail or the fact the the pirates have a white pitcher also named McCutchen? I guess I'll have to wait until next year produces a good pony-tail view or a McCutchen/McCutchen Brothers From Another Mother insert.

capewood said...

I'm looking forward to getting the cards, especially the bonus. I have very few 2007 Topps Update gold, and no Phillies of that set. And I don't have any 2009 Topps Unique. In fact I hadn't even heard of the set.

Swag said...

Yea Tony, but by then Andrew should have been traded to another team! Haha