Sunday, January 10, 2010

Top Five Pulls of 2009: #1

My big pull of 2009 came out of one of these.


My very top pull of 2009...

Card: 2008 Topps Allen & Ginter #BFA-1 Bigfoot 4x4 Certified Autograph Issue Cabinet Card (109/200)

From: Hobby Box
Thoughts: Well, it took more than a year to get to me, but this 2008 issue was my big pull of 2009. If I recall correctly, when I opened the wrapper, I first saw "CERTIFIED AUTO-GRAPH ISSUE" on the bottom and immediately knew it was going to be something special.

I have seen a few more of these in the months that have passed since I've pulled it, and I think I got a really good tire pattern "AUTO." The tread really did a number on the printing on the face of the card, but the overall aesthetic remains intact. The other ones I've seen have smaller "skid marks," if you want to call them that. Plus, mine is kind of in the shape of a foot (the right one), so perhaps the real bigfoot ("Yeti" is my preferred term) stomped on this instead.

As the summer went on, I trained my ears to listen for any radio advertisements for monster truck rallies. While I wasn't able to record any of these commercials, I did manage to transcribe one ad from memory. Enjoy.

Sunday!
SUNDAY!
SUNDAY!!!

Be there, at the Great Lakes Dragaway and Monster Truck Coliseum!
Free balloons for the kids!
Legends of Monster Truck Series Grand Nationals!!!
All the big names will be there!!!
Bigfoot!!!
Gravedigger!!!
Spleenpuncher!!!
Big Daddy Deductible!!!

TWO FREE ADMISSIONS WITH EVERY MULLET!!!

Bring the kids! Bring the family! Bring Grandma!!!
Come see the car-eating dinosaur!!!
Come see the dinosaur-eating car!!!
Come see the history of alloys exhibit!!!

Parents, wear a sleeveless T-shirt, your kids get in FREE!!!

Kids, come try out the Mini Mechanic Hands-On Experience!!!
Spot-weld a chassis!!!!!!!

Monster Nationals!!! Great Lakes Dragaway and Monster Truck Coliseum!!!
Sunday!
SUNDAY!
SUNDAY!!!

5 comments:

Dodgers88 said...

Live! Live! Live!
From the OMNI!
TRUCKASAURUS!

steve said...

Was in St. Louis for the 4th of July this year and saw this truck in the big downtown parade. Pretty sweet!

dayf said...

Well, yeah, if you pulled a cabinet card you didn't get an autorelic... in 2009. That's a card from 2008! Jeez you and Chris Olds both trying to make me look like a douche today.

(I still loves ya both, yer my pals)

Thorzul said...

You're right, I took the line out. It wasn't my intent to make you look bad.

dayf said...

See, I knew you were still my pal!

(internet hugs for Thorzul)