Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Top Five Pulls of 2009: #2

For my second-best pull of 2009, I'm going to bend the rules a bit and pick an entire box of cards that turned out to be really good.

Cards: 2008 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes Hobby Box

Let's take a look at the loot, from bottom to top. Forgive me for not getting some of the color names 100% spot-on.
Green (#/499): Jacoby Ellsbury, Mark Mulder, Albert Pujols, Carlos Delgado, Cal Ripken, Jr./Tony Gwynn

Gray (#/399): Aaron Harang, Josh Willingham, Chien-Ming Wang

Gold (116/299): Kenji Johjima

Red (#/249): Steve Carlton/Johan Santana, Clay Buchholz

Bronze/Copper? (#/149): Josh Hamilton, Prince Fielder

Light Blue (06/49): Eric Chavez

Black Autograph (120/150): Tom Gorzelanny

Light Blue Jersey (007/200): Bob Gibson/Jake Peavy

Light Blue Autograph/Jersey (50/75) Ian Kinsler

Hold up, we're not done yet.

Yankee Stadium Legacy Pinstripe Relic #YSM-PO Jorge Posada
That's a case hit, kids.

But not the best card. Here it comes.

Light Blue Patch (02/25): Matt Kemp

Thoughts: First patch card pulled from a pack ought to do the trick. This Heroes set is probably one of my very favorite since returning to card collecting. On the one hand, you have a set that is just hard enough to collect, even without short prints. At 200 cards, you might get a whole set from two boxes, but then again you might not, so it's time to trade. The parallels are a nice bonus, and they are guaranteed to be someone good (at least in somebody's eyes). If you get a guy you aren't too keen on, trade him away.

It didn't hurt matters any that I got a loaded box (or that the price is right in line with average box value), but I'd have to say it was the first time a quite a while that I had that much fun opening a box of cards. And isn't that the point?

2008 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes: Bringing the Fun Back!

6 comments:

This is That Was Great said...

I want that Kemp card, that's a great patch! Great Box Bud!

dayf said...

Jesu Christo, that's a helluva box.

Whoa... what the heck beat that?

FanOfReds said...

I don't know if I've ever busted a box that nice...

EdS said...

Wow. I busted a retail box that was alright but that box was awesome.

You are also correct in that it is a very fun set to collect. Got any dups, I am still a few short.

Thorzul said...

I've got a ton. Let me know what you need and I'll check.

Play at the Plate said...

Very nice...that's the kind of box that keeps you coming back.