Sunday, January 3, 2010

Top Five Pulls of 2009: #4 (Tie)

We actually have a tie for fourth place in this year's top pulls ranking. As it turns out, the AP gave it to one of these cards, and the USA Today/Coaches' poll had the other one slightly ahead. To settle the score, we usually go to the computer rankings, but ENIAC had a 1990 Jim Deshaies Diamond Kings as the top dog. Stupid computers.

So here's the tie:
Cards: 2009 Topps Legends of the Game Commemorative Patch "U" #LGPR-BR Brooks Robinson (21/50), 2009 Topps Legends of the Game Club Patch "S" #LGTLP-JF Jimmie Foxx (10/50)

From: Series 2 HTA Box (Brooks), Updates & Highlights Hobby Box (Foxx)

Why I Love These Cards: "Love" is a bit of a strong word, but these are my first two manufactured letter patches. These seem to get a bad rap around the web, but I was pleased to receive them. They were not counted among my guaranteed hits in either box, so they were nice as a bonus. Aesthetically, they both feel better than they look, with soft felt backing behind each letter. I suppose loose strings might be a problem on these, but that's no problem unless you're handling them a lot.

Out of the two, I'd say the Foxx is the cooler card. The "S" mimics the well-recognized Boston Red Sox font, and it spells out something that makes more sense than the Robinson. To spell "VACUUM CLEANER," you'd have to spend a few hundred bucks minimum, plus you would have to install a new shelf in your rec room to display it properly. I'm a little bothered by the serial numbering here. It requires two "U's" to spell out the phrase. Does this mean that there are 100 "U's" out there? Just 50? How about "C," "E," and "A"? Has anyone asked Topps about this? And have any of you ever gone nuts on one of these and spelled out a whole name or phrase? Let us know in the comments if you have. (And if it's Mel Ott, don't bother. Slackass.)

In summation, these are good, fun cards. I don't mind them so long as they don't replace a better hit. Plus, they gave me an idea for taking my feud with another blogger to the next level. Now what do I have up my sleeve? Be there for the intergalactic rap battle. It's... instupituous.

9 comments:

shanediaz82 said...

Be there, be square.

Grand Cards said...

Some blogger--I can't remember who--did ask Topps about the numbering, and there are 50 for each card needed to spell out the name. So for this, there are 100 U's.

Anthony K. said...

I have used signed letterman cards to spell out my son's full name.

I will get a picture one of these days and get it up.

Most were no name guys, but it didn't mak it easy (or cheap).

Anonymous said...

Nice cards but I think they should only use team names or a really good nickname. I don't associate Brooks with that nickname. How about Double X Foxx

Matt said...

I much prefer to think of Foxx as a Philadelphia Athletic.

Mad Guru said...

I'm with you, Matt. I'm not sure on what basis Topps made the decision that the Red Sox were Foxx's "primary team".

Mad Guru said...

Oh, and Dayf could probably rig something put of Ultra Pro products to house the "Vacuum Cleaner" letters if he had them all.

madding said...

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone in their right mind would ever want to spell out "vacuum cleaner" and put it on display.

Anonymous said...

It will be great to watch Boston Red Sox,i have bought tickets from http://ticketfront.com/event/Boston_Red_Sox-tickets looking forward to it.