Friday, February 5, 2010

2010 Topps Experiment: First Donations Arrive!

Well, the first few cards that readers have sent to help me collect the 2010 Topps base set have arrived. In case you missed my post, I'm attempting to acquire the whole set entirely through donations. You can get all of the details here.

The first lots were sent by thesewingmachineguy and by Rob from NYC. I'd like to thank both of you for your generosity, which I hope will serve as a catalyst that will prompt others to take part in this experiment. Now my sidebar finally doesn't look so barren.


I have to say that I really like this year's cards. The Franchise History cards are especially great. Lots of useful trivia and unique photography. Thumbing through the cards, I felt the distinct shadow of a memory of 1988 Topps. Now, I know this feeling has no basis in appearance or style. Call it instinct, if you will. Looking at these cards reminds me of sitting on my friend's swingset with a 10-cent Jolly Rancher stick (the kind that was like six inches long) in my mouth, just coming back from Serv-U Pharmacy with a brown paper bag holding a few packs of Topps. Great times.

Oh, and doesn't the Berkman/Hampton Photo Day Fun card remind you of a certain 1970s exploitation film?

No comments: