Thursday, February 4, 2010

Ask and Ye Shall Receive: Natalie Portman Edition

Every card collection needs a cornerstone upon which the rest can be built. For some, this is a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. For others, children of the '70s perhaps, a 1975 George Brett or Robin Yount might fit the bill. However, true geniuses eschew common sentiment. Free thinkers fail to follow the pack. You asked for it, and now you've got it. Behold!

2006 Media Productions Most Desirable Women Natalie Portman (30/40)

Back when I created a rebus for all of you to solve, I heard a call for higher resolution of the Natalie Portman card. Gentlemen, your request has been fulfilled. Seeing as I had merely grabbed the scan from an eBay auction, I really had no other choice than to purchase the card. You can thank me at any time.

Now having the card in hand, I chose to take a closer look at the origins of the set. Apparently, there's a company that is producing cards of celebrities, and doing it in extremely finite print runs. I was a bit skeptical about the rarity of this card. The back cites a "Limited Edition" status and contains what looks like a serial number, albeit one that is neither foil stamped nor dot matrixed, the two main methods with which we collectors have become familiar.

A quick search, though, made me confident that this Natalie Portman card was indeed limited to 40 copies. One site has a bunch of concurrent examples for sale, and the Portman sample that is shown is numbered 03/40. It looks as if 2006 was the first production year, and that the 2010 crop have not yet been released. Maybe the company is waiting for a good Portman movie to be released? I know that that hasn't happened since 2005's V for Vendetta, and she hasn't really been in a great one since Beautiful Girls. Oh, and the Hotel Chevalier segment of The Darjeeling Limited doesn't count, even though it was nice for at least one reason.

In summation, I'd say buy one of these cards if you find one of someone you're particularly fond of, but don't pay the prices established by "The Shop Collection," probably the worst-named store on the Internet. And if you wanted to send me a Scarlett Johansson card (currently my World's #1/#2 [First Round, Second Pick]), I wouldn't turn it down.

And now, I will open the comments feed to serious discussions about how I have absolutely no taste in famous, unattainable women. Have at it.

2 comments:

Bud (First Day Issue) said...

I'd agree whole-heartedly with you on both of them. Excellent taste.

Colt Seavers said...

Oddly enough, my roommate has actually met Ms. Portman on a couple of occasions. The 1st time they met was on the David Letterman show. Here's the youtube clip if you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKtWP8Z0Vs&feature=related

The 2nd time they met was on a film set here in Toronto (my roommate does some bit part acting).