Thursday, February 11, 2010

CC: Taking My First Puff...

...of a sig.
Alright, it's not a cig (I have never done, and will never do such a thing. -Ed.), but it gives me the same lightheaded, spinny feeling. CC Sabathia autograph cards have so far been nonexistent if you're looking for one of him in a Brewers uniform. Until now, that is.

2009 Topps Sterling "Led MLB in CGs and SHOs in 2008" #5SCA-37 (5x Game-Used Gray Jersey SHO CG) AUTO (08/10)

Yes, that's a long description for one card, but I want to get it right. Yes, it's a sticker autograph, but I suppose I'm not as hard on that aspect as some collectors can be. I imagine that I'd feel differently if I bought a box of this stuff with the intent to keep it, but the prices on the secondary market are fair for what you are getting.

And in case you were wondering, the stats break down like this. In 2008, CC pitched in 17 games for the Brewers. During the short time he was here, he threw 7 complete games and 3 shutouts. In 34 games for the Yankees in 2009, Sabathia, who finished 4th in the AL Cy Young voting (2008: 5th, NL), pitched in 34 games and threw 2 complete games. If there's any question as to why I chose to embark on this daunting task, the answers are right up there.

Simply put, I have never witnessed such an awesome pitching display over such a short period of time at a more crucial juncture in my team's history. And I probably never will again.

No comments: