Saturday, February 13, 2010

Completion (The Heroic Variety)

Well, I guess it was a week to achieve a sense of finality about things. When it's a traumatic event, such a death, it's usually referred to as "closure." While I'm not at all grieving that I will not be collecting this set anymore, I would like to see how closely the seven stages of grief match up with attempting to acquire an entire 200-card retail-only parallel set. But before we do that, check out the last card that completed my charcoal/black parallel set.

2008 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes Charcoal #172 Frank Thomas

I would like to publicly thank the eBay seller who sold this card to me. He had an item in his store that was like a 50+ lot of charcoal Heroes cards. Since the only one I needed was the Thomas, I asked if he would take it out of the lot and sell it to me separately. Really, I couldn't find this card anywhere for some reason. He kindly obliged and the card arrived today. Great guy.

Anyways, lets get back to the Set-Building/Grieving comparison.
1. Shock and Denial
"There is no fucking way I could ever complete this thing. I can't even find retail packs anymore, which I wouldn't buy anyways because I already have the whole base set. Im-freaking-possible."

2. Pain and Guilt
"That was incredibly stupid of me for even trying this. My money would be better spent helping the poor, or at least buying myself something nice, like a new pair of jeans. What a pathetic waste."

3. Anger and Bargaining
"God damn! Why does every fucking eBay seller offering the exact lot of cards I DON'T need? God, are you listening? Point me in the direction that will lead me to the cards I need to finish this set. If you do this, I swear I'll never... ummmm... I'll never buy another retail pack again. From Target. On Sundays. Before noon. Deal?"

4. Depression, Reflection, and Loneliness
"My life has no meaning apart from the completion of this set. I am utterly alone with myself, and I shall remain on this island of incompletion for the foreseeable future."

5. The Upward Turn
"Only ten cards left to go? I think I can manage that."

6. Reconstruction and Working Through
"Let's see, I think that I use a database to my advantage. I'll start looking for these last few on all secondary market sites, and create a detailed price comparison that will help me decide what cards to buy when, and from whom. Simple."

7. Acceptance and Hope
"It's not going to be pleasant, but I will buy these last two from eBay sellers who charge too much on shipping. I may not like the price, but at least I can achieve closure. The feeling of accomplishment is worth the premium paid. Now, let's take a look at that 2008 Topps Chrome Xfractors list..."

(Editor's Note: These steps do not strictly follow the K├╝bler-Ross model, but rather use it as a framework to which artistic license can be applied. If you care at all about that sort of thing.)

1 comment:

PunkRockPaint said...

2008 Topps Chrome Xfractors... Really? I could help you with some of those...