Thursday, March 18, 2010

Murray State Needs a New Mascot


Not a new name, mind you, just a better mascot that will better represent their fighting spirit. Thoroughbred racing is weak, but their basketball team is not weak (at least as far as I could tell from the short time I spent watching the game, which could have probably been measured in negative seconds, since I turned it on a short time after the final buzzer).

Whenever I heard about the Murray State Racers, I always thought of one of the monsters back in my brief Dungeons & Dragons days, the Giant Racer. This was a deadly snake of some sort, and it must have fallen out of fashion in the D&D community because I can't find a picture of it anywhere. Anyways, I thought this would make a better mascot than a guy on a horse. However, I checked and it turns out that most (if not all) species of racers are extremely harmless. So, I guess they'd still be without a cool mascot. Just look at this weak-ass snake.

This got me to thinking, though. Some college team somewhere needs to adopt a D&D monster as its mascot. How cool would that be? For one, I'm volunteering my hometown second-fiddle of a team, the UWM Panthers, to make this bold change. And if you're going to go ahead with this, you don't do it half-assed. I am putting my firm support behind... wait for it...

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Gelatinous Cube!

Sign the petition. It's good for you.
(Also, I'm sure there's a reader out there with a Monstrous Compendium that could send me a decent picture of a Giant Racer. Sure, it would derail my UWM G.C. plan, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.)

2 comments:

Motherscratcher said...

I'm with you. I love a good mascot name that doesn't end in "s".

Also, there's always room for jello.

PunkRockPaint said...

I am offering up San Diego's own Point Loma Nazarene University for a mascot change.

Current Mascot: Sea Lions - Ferocity of lions is diminished by the image of doe-eyed, sun bathing, aquatic, shark snacks.

New Mascot: The Point Loma Nazarene University BEHOLDERS!!!

It might look something like this:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x156/tpeterson19/beholder.jpg