Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Old Planter Strikes Again!

Tonight I was just itching to post something, but I was feeling too lazy to make that eight-foot walk over to the scanner. That's where fate stepped in. My inbox contained an advertisement from a website offering "6 Dollar Shirts." Here is what they wanted me to buy.

Yes, that's Allen & Ginter's famed Old Planter. Apparently, this image and slogan is part of an internet meme that has somehow escaped me until today. The reason it has escaped me is because its impetus, a phrase popularized by Lil Wayne, had also escaped me. To tell the truth, the clean version isn't really all that funny either.

In order to further distance ourselves from the origin of the phrase, I think someone with more Photoshop skills than myself should change the wording to something card-related. The words "disregard" and "acquire" need to remain the same, but the other two words need to be changed. If someone could do this, I would love to see the results. At a reasonable price, I'd even buy the inevitable T-shirt. So long as it's not black. I almost never wear black, because I don't want it to look like I'm openly inviting saggy 45-year-olds with raspy voices and close-to-their-expiration-date tattoos onto the back of my Harley Fat Boy. And I don't like to look like a douche.

Send me a picture of the image you create, and I'll post it here. I recommend you use the cleaner image as your template, found here. You have until Friday. Hell, we might even vote for which one is the best.

(Editor's Note: Thorzul never has owned, and never will own, a motorcycle. Those fuckers rarely follow the rules of the road. Speaking of which, have you ever seen one of the many variations on the "Watch for Motorcycles, They Have Rights Too!" bumper sticker? Those exist because responsible car drivers, for some reason, can't always see the jackass biker passing him on the right shoulder. We have to watch out for motorcyclists, because motorcyclists are not watching out for cars. Thorzul invites your steady stream of vitriolic hate mail.)

6 comments:

John said...

Bad News for Ebay Sellers.

Today was the first day of free postings under 99 cents on ebay (up to 100 a month - up from 5).
Yesterday there were 207,000 Topps cards listed for sale. Today there is 1.5 Million listings for Topps cards.

dayf said...

Um... I already have an image, but it is not scheduled to be unveiled until April 5th.

That is a self-portait of Joseph Ducreux for anyone interested.

Chris Harris said...

Actually, it's not The Old Planter. It's 18th Century French aristocrat Joseph Ducreux. And that picture is his self-portrait.

GCA said...

There's a whole boatload of examples here: http://assets.knowyourmeme.com/memes/joseph-ducreux-archaic-rap

Rocco said...

wow how have i not seen these before

dayf said...

Ok, my image is up. just click on my blog.