Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Cards in Cinema: Iron Eagle Edition

To preface things, I must fully disclose that this was going to be a post about the baseball cards visible in Pedro Cerrano's locker in the film Major League. However, while doing my research I found that Tribe Cards beat me to it by more than a month.

Fear not, readers, I do have a backup plan for today, a little piece of cards in cinema that I don't think has been explored yet. I'm straddling a tenuous line between pride and shame to admit this, but I was huddled in a blanket last night, taking in the movie Iron Eagle. Yes, Iron Eagle, from 1986. I am of the age that I can remember that one of my friend's birthday parties consisted of an in-theatre viewing of Aces: Iron Eagle III, yet I have never seen the original. Thanks to the wonders of digital video recording, I have sent in my R.S.V.P. to a party that started 24 years ago.

Not too long into the feature, I beheld a cardboard wonder. When Doug Masters, young hotshot pilot, goes to find his little brother in his bedroom, plainly visible is a nice collection of 1985 Topps cards affixed to the bedroom walls.

What's holding those up? Scotch tape? Masking tape? Poster Putty? Airplane glue? Not that the little kid cares. He's too busy chatting up some pussy that's about six years his senior.

Not bad for a fifth grader (not to mention the grade-A stroke material hanging out behing that Police bumper sticker), but let's take a closer look at that card collection. The selection is rather scattershot, but it excels in the high end. In a particularly nice grouping, we can see a Cecil Cooper, a Rickey Henderson, a George Brett, and one of those #1 Draft Pick cards of Darryl Strawberry. Up top you may notice a stray Pete Rose , probably the only other star (if you don't count the Rollie visible in the wide shot) attached to the wall via spirit gum and stamp hinges. (Although that Don August Team USA is awesome, in a regionally, Brewery sort of way.)

The product placement fees paid by Topps were probably negligible... until the producers quoted the price for the inclusion of Ernie "Don't You Dare Call Me Macho" Camacho. Word has it a three-part deal (cut, shampoo, and conditioner) was negotiated between Topps and the producers at Columbia/Tristar to make Doug look as much like the Indians' pitcher as possible.

Don't worry, Ernie... we won't hate you because you're beautiful.

2 comments:

Doc said...

Niiiiiiice. I especially love the "chatting up some pussy" comment.

36 cards on the wall. Probably 9 more hiding out of frame. They set designer must have grabbed three packs of 85 Topps and just glued them to the wall. That has to be the reason for that no-nonsensical mess of cards.

Who puts a card of Carmelo Marshmallow Martinez on their wall?

Eli said...

Cool post. I wonder whatever happend to those cards. Do you remember the movie Mask with Cher? Great movie with baseball cards in it.