Saturday, April 3, 2010

For Future Consideration - Allen & Ginter

Today has been a wonderful rainy day so far, and I spent part of it finally getting around to putting my 2008 Topps Allen & Ginter set into pages in a binder. This relaxing process gave me time to ruminate over the future of Allen & Ginter. While there are already a few sites that have published partial checklists of the 2010 sets (with lots of TBDs included), I imagine that Topps has already decided on their non-baseball members of this year's set.

Coincidentally, I was cleaning a little in my card room, and I came across a list of possible Allen & Ginter non-baseball cards that I created a few months ago. This practice was quite popular around the time of the 2007 and 2008 releases, but has since fallen by the wayside. Today, I will resurrect this trend, as I share with you my list of ideal subjects for a future release. I tried not to go with any subjects that were painfully obvious, but they had to be popular enough for most people to know, or at least recognize. There are no women on this list, which is probably the most glaring omission, but I have included one landmark and one inanimate object. Without further ado, and in no particular order...

1. George Romero - Motion Picture Director

2. Thích Quảng Đức - Buddhist Monk, Political Activist

3a. Lionel Messi - Argentine Footballer, FC Barcelona (This is my most difficult choice, since it might be too obvious to go with the consensus best player in the world. As an alternative, based mostly on visual attributes, I present an alternative.)

3b. Marouane Fellaini - Belgian Footballer, Everton F.C.

4. Bill Watterson - Cartoonist, Calvin and Hobbes

5. Douglas Coupland - Writer

6. Vinko Bogataj - Ski Jumper

7. Devil's Tower - National Monument, Wyoming

8. Grigori Rasputin - Mystic, Advisor

9. Aerobie - Flying Ring

10. Robert Wadlow - Tallest Man

I hope I haven't taken anyone else's earlier choices with these, and I think it is a good list of ten. Let me know what you think.

5 comments:

Chris Harris said...

Let's see:

1) Jefferson Burdick

2) Hunter S. Thompson

3) Tim Howard

4) Penn & Teller

5) Trey Parker & Matt Stone

6) Keith Olbermann & Bill O'Reilly

7) Sid Vicious & Nancy Spungen

8) Charles Nelson Reilly

9) F.A. Hayek

10) Major Lewis Ginter

Chris Harris said...

Here's 10 more

11) Dr. Wax Battle

12) The Milwaukee Racing Sausages

13) Marvin Miller

14) Steven Petrosino (Set the Guinness World Record for drinking a litre of beer in 1.3 seconds.)

15) Sebastien "The Caveman" Chabal

16) Andrew Breitbart

17) Marshall McLulhan

18) The Big Texan Steak Ranch, Amarillo, TX (Eat a 76oz steak in less than an hour, and it's free!)

19) Will Leitch

20) Ol' Dirty Bastard

RoofGod said...

Rasputin and Watterson are both excellent choices, although I don't think there is a chance in hell that we will ever see a Watterson card.

White Sox Cards said...

1) Mr. Lifto

2) Washoe

3) Simon Magus

4) Peyton Randolph

5) Galileo space probe

6) Robert Johnson

7) Kola Superdeep Borehole

8) Ida fossil

9) Randall Padilla

10) Atari 2600 game console

gcrl said...

good list. i would like to see charles schultz, vin scully, and bob & doug mckenzie (h/t to punk rock paint for the bob & doug idea).