Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Is This a Card We Should Be Excited About?

I hate to jump the gun here, but I feel the need to open a dialogue about a card pulled in the Piece of History group break.


I don't exactly recall which box this came from, but I'm sure I haven't posted the video for it yet. I'm going to feel a little ashamed that I failed to show the proper amount of enthusiasm when pulling this card, but I didn't fully realize what we had (or what Matt F., who had the Mariners, had) when I pulled it.

After looking everywhere, I was only able to find one other copy of this card for sale. It may be a little bit overblown, but that one specimen is listed as a Buy It Now for $159.00. The item listing includes some information from Upper Deck, but not much other than its SP status. Did Matt F. get something great in this break? Is that eBay price way out of line? Anyone know how many of these were printed, or what the insertion rate was? Any speculation will be appreciated.

5 comments:

Chris Harris said...

This card was, essentially, a gimmick card added late in the production run to "celebrate" Griffey's return to the Mariners.

Somehow, Upper Deck couldn't wait until the second series of 2009 UD Baseball to issue this card.

More info:

http://blogbeckett.wordpress.com/2009/02/24/upper-deck-unveils-ken-griffey-jrs-newest-mariners-cards/

Matt F. said...

Holy crap! I've been thinking about collecting all the Griffey as a Mariner Part 2 cards like your Sabathia as a Brewer collection but this card would have been the main problem.

Here's Wax Heaven's brief article: http://completist.wordpress.com/2009/02/24/upper-deck-welcomes-back-the-kid/

dayf said...

Well Ken sure looks totally fucking excited. I guess we should be too.

Funny how you post this the day after Matt announced he's copying your Sabathia obsession with 2nd go-round Griffeys. http://heartbreakingcards.blogspot.com/2010/04/show-and-tell-44-part-4-randoms.html

dayf said...

Jinx! Matt owes me a Coke.

Bud (First Day Issue) said...

Of course the break I don't grab the Mariners this card comes out.

Good pull though, hope there are more to come.