Wednesday, June 23, 2010

2010 Topps Experiment II: Update #1

I'm back from the Pacific Northwest (more on that in a later post), and I'm happy to report that the 2010 Topps Experiment: Series II is off to a great start. I received packages from two readers, Fabe and Long Fly Ball to Because, and I've already knocked out 121 cards from the set. I feel that we can break the mark established during the Series I experiment, with promises of more cards to come.

I've picked out a few cards that have caught my eye so far. In no particular order...

#543 "Bird Watching"
A perfect display of the boredom that can sometimes occur during the course of an MLB season.

#421 Doug Fister
New bestest name in baseball. It's a shame, really, that Fister was not born twenty-five or thirty years earlier, nor was Rusty Kuntz born an equal amount of years later. The Fister/Kuntz matchup would have been truly epic. Personally, I'm glad Doug's ancestors were too proud for the Latin digraph "Ph," and went right ahead with a straight "F." I'm just hoping Mariners catchers can handle the low inside stuff that Fister offers them. I hear he really likes to pound it in there.

#574 Milwaukee Brewers Team
Is it just me, or are the Milwaukee Brewers celebrating the shit out of 2010 Topps cards? We've already had the Prince Fielder Bowling Ball Celebration, the Braun/Fielder King Hippo Impersonation, and now there's a more traditional plate celebration to add in to the mix.

In related news, this 2010 Bowman 1992 subset card of Prince Fielder shows him either celebrating by boxing the air, or having one of his spells. Perhaps one too many or one too few of his happy pills, not sure which. Or maybe he just thinks he's a character in an episode of "Hong Kong Phooey." Magical.

#477 An Ad for freecreditreport.com
This is a business model I cannot believe continues to work. I'm not sure who's using this service, but I'm guessing most people know that they either suck with money or they don't. Are there really people using the site who are shocked to find out that they have $20,000 in credit card debt or a lien on a speed boat they could never really afford? I guess catchy commercials can sell anything.

Thanks for the cards, guys, you've gotten me off to a great start!

6 comments:

SpastikMooss said...

Lol...fantastic commentary on Fister.

TJ said...

Heh, Fister. Thanks for not going for the "Fister? I barely knew her" joke. That one's too obvious.

madding said...

Any interest in a Yount fake 85 Topps original back blah blah mom blah card?

Thorzul said...

I'd be very interested in that Yount card, madding.

madding said...

The Yount is en route.

Corky said...

I just shipped a box for your experiment this morning.