Wednesday, July 28, 2010

2010 Topps Experiment II: Conclusion!

The last two cards are finally here, all the way from Cam in Pennsylvania. Completing the set, we have...
#576 Paul Maholm

#524 Dusty Hughes

As a Brewer fan, I do see Maholm on a regular basis.
Dusty, however, is a new face to me. Any guy named "Dusty" immediately reminds me of Dusty Rhodes. Here he is in a vintage Mello Yello commercial.

Thanks to Cam, and thanks to everyone who sent me some cards. Now that the set is complete, it's time to give away the doubles. I have a large stack of base cards, a few black background parallels that I'm not collecting, and some Attax cards that perhaps a small child could cherish and damage. All you have to do to have a chance at these cards is leave a comment on this post. Your comment must include the title of a movie that you would recommend but most people might not have heard of. If you can't think of a film fitting these criteria, then just recommend any movie worth seeing.
For example, if I were entering the drawing, I would recommend Fitzcarraldo, the Herzog/Kinski joint venture in which a 300-ton steamship is pulled from one river into another river over a mountain. (Just watched it last night.)

Good luck, the drawing will be held tomorrow.

14 comments:

Kevin said...

First off, kudos on the 'Dweem video. I've been known to do a Dusty impression that once caused a friend to shoot liquid out his nose, eef yooou weeeeeeeel.

My movie suggestion is Scotland, PA, an homage to MacBeth set in the 1970s around a fast food restaurant in a podunk town in Pennsylvania. It stars Christopher Walken as Lt. MacDuff and has an excellent soundtrack with several contributions from Bad Company. Who can refuse?

The Diamond King said...

I recommend SLC Punk. It's about 2 Anarchists living in Salt lake City Utah and their struggles and ideological evolutions.

mmosley said...

The Straight Story. It's about a old guy who rides across the country on his tractor to see his brother. Oddly enough, it is directed by David Lynch.

Jonathan said...

My movie recommendation is FUBAR. It's a mockumentary from the early 00s about two metalheads in Canada. It's the most Canadian thing I may have ever watched, and it's hilarious.

the sewingmachineguy said...

Check out the movie "11:14" from 2003. it's one of those convergence of events movies that you can't stop watching.

Doc said...

Russian Ark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Ark

Anonymous said...

Grave of the Fireflies. An animated drama about two orphaned children living in Japan during the end of World War II. Just an emotionally jarring film. Watch it with tissues nearby.

BS

Cam said...

I gotta say "Help!" which is one of the movies starring the Beatles and their music. It's very wacky and fun, hilarious!

BigD said...

Restless Natives. A quirky Scottish film featuring the best soundtrack ever, by my all-time favorite band, Big Country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_Natives

Greg said...

Man on Wire is my choice. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Thanks for the giveaway.

Christopher said...

I'm not interested in the giveaway, just wanted to say congrats on finishing your set.

I would recommend "The Godfather of Green Bay", I'm normally snobby when it comes to comedies because quite frankly it's always the same low brow jokes in each one, however Pete Schwaba did a good job of capturing some small town Wisconsin in this one.

http://www.godfatherofgreenbay.com/

William said...

"Clown House." It's about some escaped convicts who dress up as clowns and burglarize a house full of kids. If you don't shit your pants watching it, you're not human.

Lou said...

I'd recommend "The Limits of Control." Strange, but interesting.
I know most everyone knows "Step Brothers" but you gotta love them "boats and hos"! "Nina, Pinta,
Santa Maria...!"

Thorzul said...

Closed to further entries.