Saturday, July 24, 2010

Sausage Run Results

The race has been run, and the results are in.

In somewhat disappointing, yet encouraging fashion, I finished this year's Sausage Run 5k in...

25:25

Not bad, but I was hoping for a sub-25 time.
This makes the contest winner Mad Guru, who came within less than a minute of the actual time with a guess of 26:12.

All in all, I felt really good this time around. I had enough left for a good kick the last 400-500 meters, but it wasn't enough to better my 2008 time. I didn't do any worse, either. How is that possible, you ask? Oddly enough, I finished with the exact same time, 25:25. Very strange.
I was actually timing myself with a single-track mix on my iPod. However, the exact location of the starting line was questionable. When I started the song, I was probably a number of meters away from the actual spot. In any case, my iPod time was seven seconds slower than the computer time, which I didn't expect. Good for me, though.

In retrospect, I should have been a little more aggressive at the beginning, especially before the race began. Too many strollers. The inside-the-stadium section actually seemed to slow me down a little, too. Not sure why, maybe the transition from concrete to warning track dirt and back again.

The Official Stats
Overall Place: 381
Gender Place: 282
Division Place (Men's 30-39): 88/299
Official Time: 25:25.79
Mile Pace: 8:12

Keep a lookout for a similar contest at the end of August, where I'd like to get under 24 minutes. Thanks to everyone who entered! (And Mad Guru, get in touch with me for your prize.)

No comments: