Monday, August 30, 2010

Dem Caps Be...

Finally, someone guessed the two mystery caps correctly. Reader William (great name, by the way) surmised that the caps belonged to the Florida Marlins and the Washington Nationals, finally nailing the answer with this pseudo-contest's 40,000th guess. The only teams not guessed were the Oakland Athletics and the Houston Colt .45s. Nice job, geniuses.

Perhaps I'm being a little too hard on everyone. The actual game this guessing game most closely resembled was Mastermind, the exercise in elementary combinatorics and the bane of vacuum cleaner operators and barefoot midnight creepers everywhere. However, the likelihood of any of you contestants being sultry Asian contessas or their debonair European playboy opponents being scant, it was a match that was never meant to be.

Holla atcha boy if the image above was from the edition of Mastermind you grew up with. This was hauled out many a rainy day in the Thorzul household. The game board was brown and the code shield was in no way attached to the base. The picture on the box just made you feel sophisticated playing it, like my eight-year-old self should have had a cocktail in hand for the duration of the game.

"Tell your mom she uses too much vermouth."

10 comments:

sruchris said...

Growing up, I LOVED mastermind!

gritz76 said...

Ahhhh, some good ol' mastermind! I always had the feeling I was playing some forbidden game when I played as a kid. I got the version for the the blackberry a while back, not even a hint of the same feeling!

Cardsplitter said...

Oh yea, we had that version. I could not even begin to remember how to actually play it though. Some kind of pattern variation game, I think, and you had to guess the pattern the other guy had?

I saw the "asian girls" tag and really didn't think you could possibly have any other asian girl posts...

William said...

Dammit, I finally win one of these contests and there's no prize. Oh well.

dayf said...

The fu-

I picked Marlins as a JOKE! I thought they would have the teal helmets. Rats.

Mad Guru said...

I had that version and remember the ads where the woman would go "You're so masterful!".

madding said...

Many rainy days in SE Portland were spent over this game and that familiar box cover. Did they make another box cover? It's a shame if they did. I actually tried to bring this game up in a meeting at work a few weeks back and nobody knew what I was talking about. I think I was the youngest person in the room, too!

Kevin said...

We had that version of the game, but I don't think I ever played it. I was big on Aggravation, the marble race game.

AdamE said...

Dam, my browser made that Nats hat look Yellow for some reason.

I had that exact same mastermind box as a kid. Way more tape on it though.

--David said...

I agree with Adam - mine had lots of yellowed, thin strips of tape.