Saturday, September 25, 2010

Last Collector Standing: A Thorzul Contest

It's Saturday morning, and that means it's time for a contest, one in which you can win some of my cards. I must admit, every time I see someone advertising a contest on one of their blogs, I'm a little leery. In no way am I distrustful of the character of the blogger running the contest, nor am I unsure of the up-and-up nature of said contest. It's the intricacies of each contest's rules of which I am suspicious.

Basically, the simpler the card blog contest, the better. They usually fall into one of two categories: skill or chance. The best skill contests require entrants to exhibit knowledge of a certain subject, knowledge that can be shown in a matter of seconds with a speedy reply. Chance contests, in my opinion, are even better. Think up something involving a future event, usually sports related, and level the playing field for all participants. These are fast and loose generalizations here, but I think you get the point.

What I'm trying to get at is how I can't stand contests which require too much thought and effort to be put into them. You want me to guess how many players of a certain team are in the pack you're about to open? Great, I'm there, I can dedicate those seven seconds to a response. This time you want me to construct a six-paragraph essay with shifting variables which will require me to consult seventeen different web sources to even stand a chance of winning? Yah, see you later pal.
(Oh, and any contest that asks me to "follow" your blog...? Shit in one hand and ask for followers in the other, see which fills up faster. Not that there's anything wrong with requesting this, but it's not my style.)

All of these points have led me to the creation of what I believe is a contest unique in its structure and simplicity. All anyone wanting to play has to do is respond with a simple "yes" or "no" in the comments during each round. Sound easy? Of course it does. Even the most mouth-breathy-est of you can manage this.

Here's the deal. I've recently discovered a 100-card plastic case with a bunch of random and not-so-random cards in it. Take a look.

While it's only half-full, there's enough ammo in there for a fairly lengthy contest, should the need arise. Here's how play will proceed. Each day (until the conclusion of the contest), I will be naming a specific card. All you're doing is guessing if that card is part of the stack in the case. That means all you need to is write yes or no in the comments. Guesses can be made until 11:59 PM the day of the contest. Everyone who correctly guesses is eligible to participate in the next day's round. This will continue until there is only one person left. That person will win all of the cards in the case.

Some additional notes:
1. Don't fuck with me. Anyone typing in something like "yo" or "nes" will automatically be eliminated. Anyone doing this will also be considered a salisbury steak motherfucker, the ilk of which would have likely made one of those "T" and "F" hybrids on a true/false test in middle school. I don't play that shit.

2. When we get down to the last two contestants, the final round has to have a winner. This is not Isner v. Mahut, and I will not stand for two horses asses posting the same response fifteen times in a row. When (and if) we get down to the final two, the first responder will make his or her selection, and the other has to respond with the opposite. The second responder also must respond. This may sound like the arcane rules surrounding proper gain and loss of the WWF Intercontinental Title, but it's really several times simpler.

3. The structure of this contest could be compared to a dichotomous key. You can thank me in advance for not making you identify each card's particular phylum.

Alright, enough grab-ass, let's get on with it.

ROUND 1
Is this card in the stack?
1989 Pro Set #149 Warren Moon

Answer yes or no to enter. You have until 11:59 tonight. Good luck.

32 comments:

Chris Mays said...

yes

dkwilson said...

Yes

Matt P. said...

No

TJ said...

no

Chris Harris said...

Yea

dfwbuck2 said...

no

Mark said...

No

Alex said...

yes

I Don't Know....3rd Base said...

yes

--David said...

Yes.

Mariner1 said...

Yes

Hackenbush said...

Yes.

Tony Mc said...

Yes

Jordan said...

no

RoofGod said...

No

deal said...

Yes

Play at the Plate said...

yes.

AdamE said...

yes

Mad Guru said...

I will say no, there is no 1989 Pro Set #149 Warren Moon.

BA Benny said...

Yeshe

BA Benny said...

That's Yes, I hit the keyboard

Colin said...

no

The Notorious B.U.D. said...

YES

William said...

YES sir.

Cardsplitter said...

No.

the sewingmachineguy said...

No

darkship said...

Yes

arfmax said...

Yes

dgreen1899 said...

Yes (sorry if this is a duplicate response The first time I sent it, it didn't seem to go through)

MDXS said...

yes

Steve D said...

no

SpastikMooss said...

Yes