Friday, October 29, 2010

Nightmares on Cardboard III: Non-Medalist #2

This next entry I feel especially bad about not placing in the top three, because I could tell this was a labor of love. From My Cardboard Mistress, we have a complete set of Saw Death Traps done up in the style of 1990 Toppps. (I'm guessing the extra "p" is for pain.)

Having only watched the first two films in the series (I know, I know, you can't believe that either, right?), this set showcases what I believe to be a recurring plot point, namely, one of Saw's victims finds himself or herself in some sort of semi-escapable death device. Only semi-escapable because you really have to inflict a great deal of pain on yourself to become free of the trap.

***SPOILER ALERT***

The backs of these cards are a bit spoilerish, in case you haven't seen one or more of these and plan on doing so. The stats, as it were, reveal the fate of each protagonist in each film, so be careful reading if you don't want to spoil it for yourself.












The card for Saw II particularly gives me the creeps, as the only method the guy has of freeing himself from the Venus Flytrap is to dig the key out from behind his own eye. Eye stuff in movies is just about the only thing that gets to me. Some I can handle, some not so much. Blade Runner is all about eyes, but those scenes don't bother me. Any Given Sunday, however, is a film I will probably never watch again. If you've seen it, you know that I'm talking about. The plastic baggie... the ice... the nonchalance of the medic... too much to handle. But Hostel, with that dangling eyeball, that's so over the top that it didn't gross me out.

***SPOILERS END***

There are also two big MOJO HITZ, an autographed card of that puppet that pops up in the films, and a jigsaw skin puzzle piece relic. Pretty nasty stuff.




Thanks, My Cardboard Mistress. A really great effort that in a different year would have brought home the prize. One more non-medalist to go, then we start handing out the hardware.

4 comments:

Spankee said...

I really wanted to actually make the skin card, but I couldn't justify spending more than a couple lunch breaks on these.

Fuji said...

Awesome! These are really creative & cool.

Colbey (flywheels) said...

One word to sum it all up: Beautiful!

Corky said...

This was a wonderful set and I really like the stats on the back. I actually forgot to send digital copies of my card backs when I sent in my images.