Saturday, October 30, 2010

Nightmares on Cardboard III: Non-Medalist #3

As I write this, we are in the midst of a first-time experience for me. Being located in one of the tonier neighborhoods in Milwaukee proper (and believe me, there are not many of those), our neighborhood association helps children and families eschew the civic-mandated Sunday-afternoon trick-or-treating that has existed since my birth. That's right, city council motherfuckers, we pass out treats after sundown, the way Jesus intended.

This Halloween Eve, Smarties aren't the only treats I'll be passing out. Tonight, you get to see the last non-medalist's entry into Nightmares on Cardboard III. This bunch of spookified cards comes from The Writer's Journey. While this one won't be getting a prize, it does include one of the most endearing cards I've seen in the three short years of this contest. Let's build to a satisfying crescendo, shall we?

First up, a 1980 Topps Pamela Voorhees. As the actual killer in the first Friday the 13th film, she's now an answer to a trivia question (used to good effect in the first Scream movie, by the way).

The horror cards get meta with our next one, a 1985 Topps Mother-Son combo. It takes balls to reference a card you made yourself in such an homage, but here it does the trick.

The mid-80s Topps love continues with a 1983 Topps Super Veteran card featuring George Romero. I think if he had managed to work in a Pirates uniform on Romero, the Pittsburgh-centric filmmaker, we would have had a bigger hit on our hands.

Here's another one from 1983 Topps, Christine's Arnie Cunningham. Great job on absolutely nailing the look of this set. Well done!

And here's the one that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, a Michael Myers-as-a-boy card in the style of 1979 Topps. Yes, the movie Halloween came out in 1978, but it's a small modification I'm willing to accept. The block letter of 1979 are probably a helluva lot easier than the 1978 script.

I want to gush more about this card, but I think Dr. Loomis could put it most eloquently...

"I met this six-year-old child, with this blank, pale, emotionless face and, the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply... evil."

Tomorrow, you get to see the winners!

Oh, and Thorzul's house FTW?

Yeah, I have to thank the wife for that one. Nice work, babe.

No comments: