Sunday, October 31, 2010

Nightmares on Cardboard III: Third Place

Here it begins, the parading out of what I considered to be the best and brightest of this year's submissions. This year third place is bestowed upon a rookie to this contest, Portfan. His rendition of a 1990 Topps Johnny Depp as Edward Scissorhands is spot-on.

The film holds a place in my heart as the best of the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp collaborations (that I have seen). Let's take a walk through the list.
Alice in Wonderland (2010) - Haven't seen it, have no desire to.
Sweeney Todd (2007) - Haven't seen it, somewhat curious, but won't go out of my way to see it.
Corpse Bride (2005) - Haven't seen it, probably should.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) - Saw it, wished it had been aborted in the pre-production stage. A complete abomination.
Sleepy Hollow (1999) - Saw it, enjoyed parts of it, but if you want a better Johnny Depp film with the same overall tone, From Hell is my recommendation.
Ed Wood (1994) - Saw it, most likely on VHS, need to see it again.
Edward Scissorhands (1990) - Saw it, own it on Blu-ray.

Portfan's submission, the first one I received, has several things going for it. The illegible Topps Certified Autograph is brilliant. It reminds me of the family dinner scene where Edward struggles so much and drops the potato (I think), and Kim's boyfriend starts to laugh. Something about Edward's meek apology is just so sincere and so funny at the same time. This card also maintains the original grain of a 1990 Topps card, I wish I could feel it in my hands. Perhaps is this were an in-hand card, this might have taken the grand prize. I also like the way Portfan worked the official Nightmares on Cardboard banner into his presentation. (The font pack is called "Bloody Freaks," by the way, the same used for the poster and DVD titles for the classic cult horror film, Bloodsucking Freaks.

Excellent job! Keep checking back as we work our way up the medal podium today.

1 comment:

SpastikMooss said...

I took a Tim Burton class in college (it was a student led course) and saw Corpse Bride as a final movie. It's not really that good...to continue my push for Plan 9, I must say that Plan 9 is much, much, much better than Corpse Bride.

I'd also call Plan 9 better than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and probably Sleepy Hollow (though I like Sleepy Hollow more than a lot of people).