Sunday, November 7, 2010

Fierce Forehead: Better Late Than Never

Being a person who subscribes to the adage, "Anything worth doing is worth doing well," I don't particularly mind if I am a trifle late turning in this assignment. Back in the summer of Oh-Ten, Dinged Corners put out a call for cards featuring "Fierce Foreheads." I took a cursory look through some vintage cards, noticed a few potential candidates, and then promptly put the brakes on right then and there. Fierce Foreheads was destined to pass me by.

Until now.

Right in the midst of Nightmares on Cardboard, I happened to thumb through one of my Brewers boxes, a motley assortment of stuff mostly sent to me by other people, that, minus a few players who have their own binders, gets thrown into a cardboard box. Not to say these are unappreciated, they most certainly are, but I don't have the time or resources to properly store them. On this happenstance perusal, I saw the most glorious forehead, and it sat atop a Brewers lifer (minus that '87 season in Toronto). I present to you... the forehead of Charlie Moore.

1985 Fleer #589 Charlie Moore

Mind you, it's not just the endless steppe occupying the front of Charlie's dome, it's also the three-ring circus going on in the back. In the front, he's all Jean-Luc Picard, but in back he's 100% Lieutenant Worf.


Simply put, there's a little Lobot in all of us.*

*This line was ripped with respect from a long-ago Onion article so ancient (probably from the B&W edition originally published only in Madison and Milwaukee) that the phrase doesn't even show up anywhere else on the internet.

No comments: