Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Nightmares on Cardboard III: Second Place (Tie)

A thousand apologies for not getting to this on October 31st, but sometimes life gets in the way of blogging. A Halloween contest should end on Halloween, right? But if you look at it another way, I'm helping to stretch the holiday into November, and that couldn't possibly be a bad thing.

With the Grand Prize and second place left, we actually have three entries remaining. How can that be, you shriek? Well, I chose to have two entries share second place. The top four were just too good to leave anyone out, so we're doubling up on second.

The first of these was the only in-hand submission. A dazzling duo came directly from Heartbreaking Cards of Staggering Genius. I've never met him, but he currently occupies the top spot in my list of most generous bloggers. Plus, he's a Packer fan, and that's good for bonus points in my book. Here's what Matt came up with.

1990 Topps Gregory Stillson

This was the card that got me closest to "Oh My God" territory this year. As you may have surmised from previous contests, the custom cards that impress me the most are those that wander off the beaten path a little. In 2008 it was Count Orlok, and in 2009 I was bowled over by White Zombie's Chauvin. This year, we're treated to a deep cut in the form of The Dead Zone. Man, it's been a long time since I've watched that movie, but I'm thrilled that Matt chose to use it as the basis for a card. Double props for subbing out Bart Giamatti's card. His untimely death adds a bit of morbidity to this creation. Too bad there was that "Dead Zone" television series, or I might have had a chance to champion Paul Giamatti in the Stillson role in a possible remake. Alas, no chance.

This next card is available in an uncensored version later on, but I wanted to give everyone fair warning about its contents. If you choose to click on the link, you'll get an eyeful of cock.

1979 Kellogg's 3D Superstars Lil' Brett (Favre)

I probably don't need to explain the significance of this entry, but I will allude to the offending image, which is mostly covered by a barrage of Vikings helmet jpegs. There is, however, a significant amount of visible shaft. If you dare, click here for the original card. That is all.


The next contestant sent me images of a shit ton of cards. I actually went back and forth a bit with this entry and the one that will actually take home the Grand Prize. I'm thinking that if Corky at Pack War had just sent in one or two from the lot and had perfected them, he may have come out on top. Let's take a look, starting with the earliest cards and moving forward.

1971 Topps - Fredrick Loren (House on Haunted Hill), Edgar Allan Poe ("The Raven")
Solid offering, but just warming up here.


1972 Topps - Children of the Corn (w/"Prime Corn Stalk")
That's a relic I would have liked to have in-hand.

1980 Topps - Norman Bates (Psycho), Captain Spaulding (House of 1,000 Corpses)
Awwwww, yeah, I loves me some Captain Spaulding. People have been shitting all over the Rob Zombie Halloween Remakes (haven't seen either), but he's A-OK to me for Corpses and the superior Devil's Rejects.


1984 Topps - John Kramer (Saw), Johnny (Night of the Living Dead) (w/Replica Zombie-Worn Shirt)
Great idea, but 1984 Topps is really, really hard to pull off. It looks so easy, but something is always a little off with the letter font or something whenever someone apes one if these.


1986 Topps - Damien Thorn (The Omen)
Nice.

1990 Topps - Jason Voorhees (Friday the 13th)
Also nice, and way to step up to the 1990 Topps challenge.

And here's the ringer of the bunch...
1986 Topps - Pennywise (It)
Damn, that's a great card. 1986 Topps works perfectly with this, especially since that's the year the book was written. This card alone, with an appropriately rendered card back (Talkin' Baseball: "They allllllll floooooooooat!"), could have won the contest.

Would love to hear comments about this second place tie and the great cards therein. Coming tomorrow (?): Grand Prize Winner. (And a giant leap forward in technology.)

1 comment:

Corky said...

I know next year to pick just a select card or two and work on them instead of a group like this year. The backs were just basic built off of the cards standard back but I changed the stats to like "Kills" and "Scares", nothing major.

Thank you for the second place tie, I appreciate just being selected.