Monday, December 13, 2010

2010 Card-vent Calendar: December 13

December 13, 2010:
Arkansas Game & Fish Commission - Smallmouth Bass

"I caught you this delicious bass."

Dang, this year the Card-vent Calendar is as big on fish as it is on Jeff Conine! We've had two (make it three, if you count the prehistoric creature card) fish cards, and one Florida Marlin. More tangentially, SpongeBob lives under the sea, and Rulon Garnder crashed that airplane into Lake Powell. What's next?

If this ain't fishy enough for you, give the Carl Hiaasen novel Double Whammy a shot. The mystery involves cheating as a Florida bass fishing tournament. I remember starting to read it sometime in high school, but I can't remember if I finished it or not. I do remember one of the passages from the beginning that told of a tournament beginning, where all of the boats rush out from the starting line to get to the best lake locations. One of the contestants, the story went, was going so fast that when an unsuspecting junebug hit him in the eye during the mad rush, it penetrated his skull and went all the way to his brain, killing him. Sunglasses, people.


P.S. Oddly enough, this card did not come to me from Tribe Cards, the Indians blog with Arkansas headquarters. But I bet he has one.

2 comments:

Cardsplitter said...

I love Carl Hiaasen. At least his books.

AdamE said...

I have that card too. I live 20 minutes from Arkansas and they give them out every year at the kids fishing derby on the first weekend of June.