Thursday, December 16, 2010

2010 Card-vent Calendar: December 16

December 16, 2010:
1994 Fleer Ultra X-Men #10 Iceman

While X-Men comics have never really been my bag, I do have to say I was pleasantly surprised to find this card when opening today's door. The Iceman has played a formative part in my life, particularly in my transition from an adolescent to a mature, productive member of society. Let me lay it out for you.

In one of my high school yearbooks, the staff decided to fill some space with a collage of pop culture events from the previous year. I believe the year was 1994 or 1995, sililar to the date of this card. Pictured in the two page collage (and I'm going from memory here) were several instantly recognizable images: Bill Clinton doing something presidential, Vincent and Jules from Pulp Fiction, a Woodstock '94 Mud Person, perhaps Boris Yeltsin's face, and, of course, O.J.

And then there was the Iceman. Stuck somewhere between an ill-fitting glove and "the path of the righteous man," one of the yearbook staffers had placed a cut-out from some unknown X-Men comic. He was portrayed creating some sort of ice slide with his powers, and, to the best of my recollection, this is what he said:

"No matter what you throw at me, your boy the Iceman can whip up an icy defense in jig time… just like this instant-freeze roller coaster… Wheeeeeeeee!"

I'm not 100% certain of the exact line, but it's pretty damn close. There was just something about the quote and the odd placement that I found hilarious, as did some of my friends. In fact, I'll bet that Dr. Steve (of Doctored Cards fame) could probably recite the Iceman line as readily as I could. Has the thought of the Iceman and his instant-freeze roller coaster gotten me through some tough times? You bet it has.

Sometime soon, I'll have to head down to the basement to retrieve the yearbook and see how close I was on the quote. I'll keep you posted. (And my goodness, if someone could find the issue this was taken from, I'd love to hear it!)

No comments: