Friday, December 24, 2010

2010 Card-vent Calendar: December 24

December 24, 2010:
1992 Score #879 Babe Ruth

Finding this card behind the final door of the 2010 Card-vent Calendar reminded me of the way in which I first acquired it, some 18 years ago.
Believe it or not, but I've never opened a pack of 1992 Score baseball cards. In 1990, I bought a bunch of packs, then bought the factory set with some birthday money. I bought tons of packs in 1991, when the set was so massive it was split into two series. I eventually finished it and housed it in binders. The year 1992 brought a different strategy. Right off the bat, I bought absolutely no packs, and instead opted for the hallowed factory set. I don't remember where I got it from, but I distinctly recall opening the box, pulling out a few short styrofoam padding rectangles, and putting the cards in order. That's right, the 1992 Score factory sets came boxed with the cards out of numerical order. At close to 900 cards, this took quite a while, although there was certainly a pattern to the card placement, which made it a little easier to do.
Since that sorting, I haven't looked at any of the cards in it, save for the Robin Yount Cooperstown Card insert, which I placed in one of my Yount binders.

Seeing this Babe Ruth card makes me feel a little sad, and, perhaps because of the time of year, sentimental. It's a shame that such a neat card could go unloved, sitting in my basement, when it has so much going for it. There are no claims as such, but it seems as if this is a photograph of genuine Ruth memorabilia. To sweeten the pot, there are also a couple of Ruth cards featured, his 1933 Goudey and the 1948 Leaf issue. These are likely to be reprints, but who knows for sure? It's a classy card that deserves better.

Do yourself a favor this week. Dig into a forgotten factory set, one that's been sitting on a shelf for years. Give it some love. Find a card that you've forgotten about, or don't remember seeing. Write a blog post about it. Then, let me know about it. If I get enough responses, I'll post a link to these Blue Collar Cards. (Factory? Blue Collar? Get it?)

Merry Christmas, and tomorrow...a savior.

1 comment:

longlivethewho said...

Great post, and will definately look through some forgotten cards next week. Enjoy your holidays!