Wednesday, December 8, 2010

2010 Card-vent Calendar: December 8

December 8, 2010:
2004 Donruss World Series Fans of the Game #4 Gene Shalit

As instantly recognizable as this guy is, I can't say I've ever seen him live on TV. I suppose The Today Show is well outside of my television viewing wheelhouse. At that time of the morning, A. I'm not at my best. And B. I'm either working, on my way to work, or sleeping. Aside from the iconic mustache and the white guy Afro, what's this goofball's schtick?

If he's a Dodgers fan, allow me to go ahead and list my favorite three films that take place in Los Angeles.
3. Short Cuts - Robert Altman's sprawling urban epic. While not at good as Nashville, it has its moments. Menacing helicopters, a dead body in the river, and a bottomless Julianne Moore.
2. Speed - The elevator, the bus, the subway... this is the perfect three-act action movie. So many great quotable lines, I don't know where to begin. Let's go with, "Well I'm taller."
1. Chinatown - Polanski. Nicholson. Evans. Brilliance.

1 comment:

dayf said...

Gene Shalit's schtick was basically being a goofball. his reviews had a lot of corny jokes in them. Sadly you'll never get a chance to see him live, he just retired from the Today Show last month.

My three favorite LA movies:
#3 Barton Fink
#2 Chinatown
#1 The Big Sleep

My three favorite LA movies when I'm not trying to impress anyone:
#3 Naked Gun
#2 Repo Man
#1 The Big Lebowski