Saturday, January 1, 2011

Interim Cheapo Break: AL East

I was actually in Minnesota for most of the week after Christmas, and after I got back, all of the mail I had put on hold was delivered. Among this pile was the lot of cards ordered for the cheapo break. After opening everything up, it pretty much turned out to be what I thought it might be: a lot of stars, recent inserts, and unproven rookies, punctuated by some decent jersey cards and scrub-to-mid-level autos.
Since surprises are nice, I'll just be showing what I consider to be the best card for each team purchased in the break. Maybe not even the best card, perhaps the most interesting. I'll go one division at a time, starting with the American League East (the only division for which all teams were claimed).

Team: Rays
Claimed By: Derek
Best Card: 2010 Topps 2020 3D #T4 David Price
In choosing to build my 2010 Topps set completely by donation, this insert set was one of the things I missed out on. Not a bad move, in retrospect, as these full sets can be found hella cheap now.


Team: Yankees
Claimed By: Scott Crawford
Best Card: 2008 Upper Deck SP Legendary Cuts Generations Dual Jersey #GEN-CH Roger Clemens and Phil Hughes
Pretty decent pairing of the old and the new. Plenty of Yanks in the lot.


Team: Red Sox
Claimed By: Zpop
Best Card: 2009 Upper Deck SP Legendary Cuts Destined for History Jersey #DHM-JV Jason Varitek
Well done by Zpop to step in and claim the Sox. This was not the only jersey card in the lot. This is all I will say.


Team: Blue Jays
Claimed By: Retrofan
Best Card: 2005 Donruss Diamond Kings Dual Jersey #406 Vernon Wells (077/200)
White and red jersey swatches make this a pretty nice card. Imagine how hot this guy's cards would be if he played in NY or Boston. As it turns out, pennies on the dollar. A shit-ass Canadian dollar at that.


Team: Orioles
Claimed By: Derek
Best Card: 2010 Topps CYMTO #CMT153 Eddie Murray
Eddie Murray got some nice love from Topps this year. This bad mippy-flippy was surpassed only by his Vintage Legends card. No jerseys or autos for the O's, but plenty of nice cards.

That's the AL East for you. Once I get through all of the divisions, these cards, as well as the regular December break cards, will ship.

2 comments:

Derek said...

I'm a little behind, did I pay up for the Marlins or do I still owe you for that one. Thanks!

Thorzul said...

Yeah, I checked and I've only gotten payment for 2 of the 3 teams you claimed. $9.50 for the final team.