Sunday, January 9, 2011

Interim Cheapo Break: The Leftovers

For the Interim Cheapo Group Break, several teams went unclaimed, which means that I ended up with those cards. Let's take a look at the best card from each team.

Pirates
2009 Donruss Elite Extra Edition #49 Brock Holt Die-Cut (026/200)
When it comes to the Pirates, the future is always the key. Unfortunately for them, their future always seems to end up in someone else's hands. Brock was a ninth round pick, and played for the high-A Bradenton Marauders in 2010.

Padres
1996 Upper Deck Diamond Destiny #DD32 Tony Gwynn
This is a neat insert that uses patented see-through technology on Tony's face in the small circle. I would like to see something like this in a future product.

Rockies
2005 Upper Deck SPx #45 J.D. Closser Jersey (162/199)
The last time the Rockies were chosen in a group break was in 1977. That may be revisionist history, but you can quote me on it. It was a good thing, too, that no one picked the Rockies, because there was only one card in the entire lot. At least it was a scrub jersey. I can't even use this as trade bait, because there isn't a single Colorado Rockies collector on the face of the Earth.

Giants
2010 Topps National Chicle #215 Orlando Cepeda Bazooka Back
This is one of my favorite parallel sets. A huge Bazooka Joe looks great on the back of a card, so much better than, say, an Allen & Ginter unnumbered mini card. The Chicle Ad Backs I could do without, but I'm down with Joe Blow here.

Royals
2003 Donruss #38 Ian Ferguson AUTO (0556/1000)
Ian Ferguson. The name sounds more like an English Football than an American League pitcher. Ian was actually neither, never having made it to the big leagues.

White Sox
2009 Upper Deck Goudey #51 Carlos Quentin Blue Back Mini
The White Sox have also often gone unclaimed recently. What the heck?

A's
2005 Bowman Heritage Signs of Greatness #SG-DJ Dan Johnson AUTO
A nice, on-card autograph that will go in my auto binder. Love that elephant hat!

Astros
1994 Upper Deck SP #18 Billy Wagner
The Astros are such a meh team that this card was chosen on the basis of shininess.

Angels
1969 Topps #565 Hoyt Wilhelm
Those teeth are coming to getcha! Particularly that #10 there, the upper left lateral incisor, yearning to breathe free.
Late model vintage Wilhelm cards always seem to find a way to find me. I don't mind, and I'll continue to take it in stride.

6 comments:

cubsfan731 said...

I've been looking to add to my jersey collection. What do you want for the Closser jersey?

SpastikMooss said...

If cubsfan doesn't take the plunge, there IS a Rockies collector Thorzul. She runs the Middle Child blog and is always good for a Rockies trade - http://shelliebee.blogspot.com/

Thorzul said...

Cubsfan731, make me an offer of a comparable Brewers card. Or something from my want list.

Baseballislife1984 said...

This is what Ian Ferguson is up to these days:

http://www.csmorediggers.com/sports/bsb/coaches/Ian_Ferguson

Mariner1 said...

I would be interested in the Gwynn card. Let me see if I can find a few of your wants.

Jay said...

Dan Johnson could have been big in Oakland. He just suffered from Vertigo, and other mental problems. He had a blinking problem as well that plagued him at the plate ( I personally think it was in his head as well).

Poor guy