Thursday, January 6, 2011

Top Five Pulls of 2010: #1

Sometimes, you get a good box of cards. Other times, you get a bad box of cards.

On a rare occasion, you absolutely murder a box of cards.

For my best pull of 2010, I picked up a box of 2003 Topps Gallery Hall of Fame. To say that I opened the box would be an understatement. I pulled up to this box's Brentwood condominium on the night of June 12, 1994 between 10:15 and 10:40 p.m. At some point, I got real stabby with this box and its aspiring model boyfriend, slashing it several times through the throat nearly to the point of decapitation. Racist detectives needlessly tried to frame me, casting doubt upon my guilt. I was asked by a prosecuting attorney to try on a bloody glove found near the scene of a grisly slew of opened wrappers, but for one reason or another, it didn't fit, so the jury decided to acquit. Long story short, I beat the rap on First Degree Chartacide.

The spoils:
Let's begin with the box loader, one in a series of cards with coins embedded in them. While opening the pack, I chanted "BabeRuthBabeRuthBabeRuth," and at the last split second muttered "JackieRobinsonwouldbeOKtoo." Bingo.
Currency Connection #CC-JR Jackie Robinson (w/1946 Roosevelt Dime)


Not bad, but it gets better.

Worst hit in the box:
#AR-BH Bucky Harris ARTifact (Game-Used Bat)


Worst is a relative term, you will soon see.

Second-Best Hit:
#AR-BD Bobby Doerr Artist's Proof ARTifact (Game-Used Jersey) (14/25)


These are refractory and beautiful. Really tough pull.

Hit of the Box:
#AR-TC Ty Cobb ARTifact (Game-Used Bat)


Holding this card actually makes me happy. Cobb sits among a small group of baseball immortals that could probably be counted on just two hands, and this is the first relic card I own of one of these gods. The totality of this box makes it the best pull of 2010.

On a related note, I am compiling a master list of this set's common and rare variant poses on the base cards. I actually also got one of the shiny Artist's Proof variant cards of none other than Stan Musial. This card cannot be pictured, as it is currently on the lam, a warrant having been issued for its arrest as an accessory to murder.

Let's hope such a great box doesn't take until the final week of 2011.

8 comments:

Mad Guru said...

Man, that is just a bunch of awesomeness.

Baseballislife1984 said...

GREAT GREAT pulls!! It must feel nice to hit a nice box when you get screwed at least 90% of the time!!!

TheBrooklynMet said...

Wow! I liked that set a lot, and that is an amazing box. I got myself both a Fransico Rodriguez and Hank Greenberg coin card from that set (but I bought them as singles).

the sewingmachineguy said...

Cobb (wipes a small bit of drool from corner of mouth)

Fuji said...

That was one insane box of cards... very nice!

Corky said...

That was an awsome box, the Robinson or Cobb hits alone would have made it a special box.

I really like the Currency Connection set. I picked up the Ruth, Gehrig and Cobb Currency Connection cards when they were first released for a couple bucks apiece.

Play at the Plate said...

It took me awhile to read this post because I kept celebrating with each new card. Seriously, nice box.

Todd Uncommon said...

Yep, love those Currency Collection cards. Great design, coin matches year of relevance--and you even got a little bit of silver in the deal!

There are some wackos out there that only want to take silver as a basis of payment these days. This is a great card for the start of the End of the World!