Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Return of El Cheapo: AL Central

On to the American League Central...

Team: Minnesota Twins
Buyer: Matt F.
Best Card: 2005 Fleer National Pastime #58 J.D. Durbin Gold Parallel (173/699)
All I have to say is, "OUCH!" I hate to see a team take a beating like this in a break, but there were only TWO Twins in the entire lot. At least one of them was a numbered parallel. Sorry, man.


Team: Detroit Tigers
Buyer: Grand Cards
Best Card: 2009 Bowman Sterling #BCR-MC Miguel Cabrera WBC Game-Worn Jersey (054/199)
I've probably said this before, but I'm a sucker for jerseys from specific events. It's a shame, though, that we can't see Cabrera's Tigers uniform, probably in my top 3 for all of baseball. Grand Cards also hit a numbered card of a player with a total of six innings pitched who hasn't played since 2005. So he'll have that to figure out until he receives the package.


Team: Cleveland Indians
Buyer: David
Best Card: 2007 Topps Moments & Milestones #MA-JS Jeremy Sowers AUTO

I'm feeling the need to show off all of David's stuff from this break. The Tribe netted a measly eight cards in this break, but one of them was autographed and four were serial numbered. We start things off with a Dennis Martinez Legendary Cuts Glory Days insert (036/399).

Following that, total chaos ensues as we get two more Cuts cards of El Presidente, again numbered out of 399. (I think David should try to get as many of these as possible. I think he could get at least a hundred in his lifetime if he stuck to it.)

To finish things off, he's getting a 2005 UD Hall of Fame card of Al Lopez, Cleveland's manager from 1951 to 1956. His Tribe managing stint preceded the song by a few years, but I'd like to think he's belting out the encouraging lyrics of "Chicken Fat" to his squad here.

SPOILER ALERT!:
You haven't seen the last of Dennis Martinez. No, you certainly haven't seen the last of Dennis Martinez.

3 comments:

dayf said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOT CHICKEN FAT

EVERY GODDAMN TIME IT RAINED WE HAD TO DO PUSH UPS AND TOE TOUCHES AND JUMPING JACKS IN THE PE ROOM TO THIS FUCKING SONG

I HATE THIS FUCKING SONG

DIE YOU CHICKEN FAT DIIIIIIE

Wait... The Music Man sang this horrible song???

oh god my childhood........

Thorzul said...

Here's the reason I know that song, dayf.
My first year of teaching, we had a gym teacher who would open every P.E. class with that song. He retired at the end of that year, and I think some of the teachers found an old 45 of the song and had it framed for him as a gift.

Ahhhh, 2002, you seem like a lifetime ago.

--David said...

Well, crap! Somehow I missed this post! Wahoo!! Looks like I quite all right by my boys. It's not always quantity, but quality, right? No? Well, you won't hear me complain at all!