Thursday, May 19, 2011

The 100 Best Finds in a 30-Dollar Lot: #3

I'd be lying if I said this was the most vivid memory from my childhood, but let me share with you the most vivid memory from my childhood. This is a recollection of an episode of Mr. Belvedere. The particular episode of this ratings juggernaut that sticks out in my mind involves lovable scamp Wesley claiming that he could perform the title character's butler duties better than Belvedere himself. In an act of one-upmanship, Wesley does the family grocery shopping, using double coupons on triple coupon day. He arrives back at home with bags full of food, and proudly announces that the store ended up owing him money. (Yes, that Wesley was the original Extreme Couponer.) Mr. Belvedere scoffs at this feat, inferring that the grocery haul most likely contains items the family would have no use for. Wesley then demonstrates his prowess by removing various boxes of baked goods from the paper grocery bags, much to the astonishment of the portly housekeeper.

What is the point of all this, you ask? Well, I claimed before that this amazing plentiful lot included no fewer than twelve memorabilia cards. Now, that may be all well and good, until I reveal that these are jersey cards exclusively portraying "has beens" and "never wases."

News flash. They ain't.
Don't make the mistake of being a "Doubting Belvedere" at any point during this 100-post journey. The "groceries" I'm coming home with are less 12-jar cases of beef bouillon and more Entenmann's Crumb Donuts 8-packs.
Here's the first one I'd like to show you.

2010 Topps Peak Performance #PPR-BM Brian McCann (Game-Used White Jersey)

Apparently, the guy had a pretty good game last night.

3 comments:

Ryan G said...

Bah, McCann is worthless. I mean, really, the guy has only four home runs on the year! Heck, he usually only hits about 20 a year. Any self-respecting catcher would have 20 by this point in the season. Clint Sammons is where it's at. All-Star Game MVP, p-shaw.

I jest. Is Clint Sammons even playing anymore? Is that even his name?

dayf said...

Ryan G:
I WILL END YOU FOR YOUR BLASPHEMIES.

And yes, Clint Sammons is his real name. He is sadly in the Marlins organization now as they raided our minor league castoffs this offseason. Of course with Mac and David Ross on the Braves' squad, Clint wasn't going to see much playing time ever again.

Play at the Plate said...

I like catchers. All catchers (almost). Nice find.