Thursday, May 26, 2011

The 100 Best Finds in a 30-Dollar Lot: #9

One of the things I never expect to find in a massive lot such as this is something unopened. I came pretty close this time, though. Take a look below.

That's one of those manufactured patch packs that came in blasters of 2010 Topps cards. I got a little excited when this was unearthed from the flat rate box. The excitement was tempered a little when I checked the seal and found that it was open. Dread was next, for I was sure I would be the victim of pack-stuffing, wherein random cards of poor quality are inserted into an empty wrapper, usually unrelated to the cards in question. Thankfully, my fingers told me there was indeed a patch card inside. But who?

2010 Topps #MCP87 Willie Stargell 1979 World Series Commemorative Patch

Alright, Willie Stargell! The 1979 World Series seems like it would be a fun one to travel back in time to see. I just looked it up, and can you believe a seven-game series lasted only eight days from start to finish? The Series began on October 10 and ended on October 17, with the only off day being the 15th. They didn't even give the teams a traveling day for the first venue switch! Those baseball purists have good cause here. November baseball is a fucking travesty! (Actually, I might be thinking more about the prolonged nature of a basketball series. Baseball actually packs its games together pretty nicely. Come to think of it, we haven't had a World Series Game 7 since 2002. Let's hope the next one doesn't interfere with those Thanksgiving football games.)

5 comments:

- dw said...

Love that card! I might have to get one. And, I remember that World Series from my youth.

It was a fun one - the "We Are Family" series - and why more than 30 years later I decided to collect Stargell and Dave Parker.

night owl said...

The absence of the one travel day after Game 2 was because the first World Series game was postponed from Oct. 9 to Oct. 10 because of weather. In order to keep the schedule intact and ensure games were still played on the weekend, they went with no off-day.

The '79 World Series is one of my all-time favorites in terms of Series that I've watched. Great series, great period, great uniforms.

gcrl said...

i enjoyed watching this series, but was pretty ticked (i was 8) when game 7 pre-empted the 8 is enough episode where the bradford's house caught fire. did merle the pearl survive? i still do not know to this day.
nice card.

Mad Guru said...

My favorite Pirates World Series stat - all five of the Pirates World Series victories have come in seven games.

Fuji said...

Great history lesson... it's amazing how sports have evolved (for the good and the bad) over the years.

P.S. Love me some Pops... just another player I loved watching as a child.