Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Return of El Cheapo: NL Central

Up next, baseball's mathematically toughest division, the National League Central. Now you may take issue with that stance, but picture this: You are entered in a hot dog eating contest. On the basis of sheer numbers, are you more likely to emerge victorious squaring off against three other people, or racing to stuff your fat face with five other people?
"But the Pirates don't count!" you say? Every division has a team that doesn't count on a year-to-year basis. End of rant, let's get on with the cards.

Team: Chicago Cubs
Buyer: Tunguska
Best Card: 2010 Topps Value Pack Refractor #BC-2 Starlin Castro
This was a lot heavy with Sorianos. I hope Tunguska hadn't yet acquired the Castro.


Team: Cincinnati Reds
Buyer: Alex
Best Card: 2007 Topps Own the Game #OTG10 Adam Dunn
Why Dunn?
Why not?
It was either that Dunn or the other Reds card. Yeah, the one other. Sorry, Alex, but at least you get into the drawing for the Brad Miller AUTO/Jersey when all is said and done. I guess after that great Topps Retired box you hit in the April break, things started to even out. Boo-urns, I say.


Team: St. Louis Cardinals
Buyer: IkesCards
Best Card: 2010 Topps Tales of the Game #TOG-15 Ozzie Smith
The best card came down to this and a mystery numbered parallel. I chose this because of its visual superiority. Plus, Isaac can have a surprise when he opens the delivery package.


Team: Milwaukee Brewers
Buyer: Thorzul
Best Card: 2009 Topps 206 #FMA-15 Mat Gamel Framed Piedmont AUTO
The Brewers don't seem to be in a huge hurry to make this guy a permanent part of their roster. This is his third autographed card I've acquired, and I think this signature is the worst of the three. Straight to the Gamel section of my binder it goes!

I hit a few other nice Brewers cards. This is a Prince Fielder Xponential I didn't have yet.

And here's a Ryan Braun checklist card from 2010 Topps 206. I'm guessing if I do one of these at this time next year, I'll be getting some of my first Gypsy Queen Brewers, 'cause I sure as shit ain't buying any right now.

We will end things with this Ben Sheets Blue Parallel Mini from 2009 Goudey. I think the blue minis came in at two per box or so.

Alright, two divisions left. Participants from at least one of these will be able to sleep tonight. The other, I'm not so sure. We'll see how things go.

3 comments:

Tunguska said...

Completely happy with the results of both teams in the break.

Thanks Thorzul, and no, I had not picked up that Castro yet. Win!!

hiflew said...

Since they seem determined to keep interleague play (which I think has run its course), the simplest solution is to put Houston in the AL West. Or move the Dbacks to the AL West and Houston to the NL West to keep the Texas teams in each league. I just do NOT want Colorado in the AL in any scenario.

Alex said...

Boo-urns is right!