Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Vintage 'Toons: Redux '76, '75

Last month I bought a lot of cards on eBay (an entirely different lot than the 100 Great Finds lot) that have been sitting on an end table since I received them. This is a lot of 100 vintage cards (from 1959 to 1976) that cost me less than $20. Since $0.20 apiece is way less than I'm accustomed to paying, I'd say this was a pretty sweet deal.

They've been sitting around because I wanted to do something fun with them, but never took the initiative. Well, inspiration has finally struck. Topps cards of days gone by have often contained a small cartoon on the back. These are usually blithe in nature and broad in their comedic sense. What I'm going to do is rewrite the copy from one card from each year represented in the lot. At times, the new caption will be hateful and unfit for agreed-upon societal standards, and at other times you'll just get a light-hearted romp. Depends on the situation, I guess.

I've decided to work my way backwards in time from 1976. For each year I will reveal how many cards were found in the lot, show the front of the card with the most re-writeable cartoon, and then finally share my revisions. Deal?

1976
# of cards: 2
Favorite Card: #584 Stan Wall
1976 Topps cards lacked a cartoon on card backs, so all you get is the front. I picked Wall because... well... just look at the guy. He looks like he would have gotten along well with Tim Lincecum. And I ain't talking about in the dugout. More like, in a van. A windowless van. With incense. Lots of incense. Do I have to spell it out for you? Okay, one more clue. They'd be really forgetful, like, more than a normal amount. That's all I will say.


1975
# of cards: 3
Favorite Card: #415 John Heller

Q: "Which player served in both World War I and World War II?"

A: The Great Gazoo.

Alright, not off to the best start, but stay with me on these. By the time we get to 1959, you'll have heard at least one derogatory phrase so graphic in nature that you'll lose your appetite and ask to be excused from the dinner table in order to take a soul-cleansing shower. I owe you that at the very least.

1 comment:

Doc said...

Q: "Which player served in both World War I and World War II?"

A: "Adolph Hitler"

"begeisterungs weckende sache!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASW3UCc17AI