Saturday, May 28, 2011

What $15 Gets You At a Milwaukee Card Shop on a Saturday Morning

This morning I had a bunch of errands to run before heading to a buddy's house to watch the UEFA Champions League final between Manchester United and Barcelona. (Which, by the way, I can't really get that excited about. No German teams were involved, and my English side, Everton, didn't even make it to the Europa League this season. Also, the money spent by both teams makes it like watching the Yankees playing the Yankees. The presence of teams like these in the final is a given. Although, I actually feel thankful to be alive to watch Lionel Messi play. He's simply at a different level than everyone else on the field.)

Okay, enough soccer talk. Between errands I headed to my favorite card shop, which just relocated out of a mall and into, in my opinion, a much better space in a strip mall. I had my want lists with me and was also looking for some storage supplies. Let's see what other goodies a came home with.

First, I hit the quarter boxes. From previous trips at the old location, I was pretty sure I would be able to find some of the 2007 SP Legendary Cuts base cards from my list. Sure enough, I slashed about a third of what I needed from my list. Wagner, Gibson, Gehrig, and Yaz are my favorites from this bunch.

The quarter box also yielded a 2010 Bob Gibson Triple Threads card. I picked this up to try to enhance a proposed trade with a fellow blogger.

The dollar box was next. There I quickly found some more Cardinals trade bait, this 2011 Topps Heritage 1962 Buyback of Alex Grammas.

Here's a card I finally bit the bullet on buying for a buck. I had hoped to find it in a quarter box some day, but I lost my patience. It's an early Ryan Braun card I didn't have, so it needed to come home with me.
2005 Just Minors Justifiable #JFP-1 Ryan Braun

The next part of this shopping trip was the most spur-of-the-moment, but definitely the most lucrative. The same dollar boxes held some well-handled vintage cards.

1953 Bowman Color #54 Chico Carrasquel

Old as hell and bent in half, that's the way I likes my cardses. And, yes, that is a pinhole hovering above Chico's back. This is the first card form this set that I own, and for a buck, the condition was good enough for me.

The next two cards are from the 1954 Topps set. These are still from the dollar box, folks.
1954 Topps #15 Al Rosen

I had the idea somewhere in the back of my mind that Rosen was an MVP. The front is pretty scuffed, but this card is in otherwise nice condition.

1954 Topps #83 Joe Collins

1950s Yankees for the price of a McDouble is pretty much a no-brainer.

The last card I have to show you is also the favorite one I nabbed.
1956 Topps #257 Bobby Thomson

Uh-huh, it's that Bobby Thomson, the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" guy. Thomson missed being on Milwaukee's 1957 World Series-winning team by a few months as he was part of the trade that brought Red Schoendienst to the Braves in June of that year.
And my goodness, how I love that cartoon ball in the center comic on the back! It's simple and fun, a perfect characterization of a baseball about to get clobbered in the mush.

The aforementioned supplies round out the purchase. I have been in desperate need of a new 5,000-count box for months. Buying big lots on eBay can do that to a guy.

I also made sure to grab some magnetic card cases. Some of my better Donruss Americana relic cards are currently naked as the day they were born. It's not like they were getting handled a lot, so every once in a while I grab a couple.

That's it. How did I do for $15.00? I love living in a low-cost-of-living area!
By the way, I am writing this up while watching SportsCenter. The anchor just called Jonathan Lucroy "Matt Lucroy." Don't worry, the rest of the sporting world will get to know his name soon enough.

2 comments:

Greg Zakwin said...

Love the Rosen.

Anonymous said...

What shop is this? I've got a friend that lives in Milwaukee and when I visit I'd love to check it out. Sounds like a decent place.