Friday, June 10, 2011

The 100 Best Finds in a 30-Dollar Lot: #30

2009 Upper Deck 20th Anniversary #1347 Joe DiMaggio, #1611 Seattle Mariners, #1354 Ken Griffey, Jr., and #1223 El Niño

I've accumulated enough of these cards for them to sort of grow on me. The idea isn't horrible, except these often take the place of semi-hits in certain products. The worst part is that there are five of each card in the set, just with marginally different copy. What ought to have been a 500-card set is actually 2,500 cards. With just a small handful found in each box, 500 would have been challenging enough, but the needless fivefold expansion ruined it. I suppose you could go after a D-I-Y 20% set (just one out of the five of each card), but why should you have to? Seriously, did this insert actually make anyone buy any more cards? Of course not.

Still, I like 'em.

1 comment:

GCA said...

Out of the dozen or so I've obtained through packs, I got two El Niños. It's definitely another level of aggravating to get dupes of such a large set...