Friday, June 24, 2011

Series 2 So Far... Phillies-Jo, Bravo-Jo, and Molitor-Jo

I can't say I'm up to my neck yet, so let's call it knee-deep. Yes, I'm knee-deep in 2011 Topps Series 2. Over the past two weeks, I've picked up a few loose packs, a 4-pack blister, and something I'm going to call an Ocean Spray of Series 2. An Ocean Spray is a $9.99 pacakage that includes a cello-wrapped brick of 72 cards, including one Diamond code and a special Target-only insert called, and I'm not making this up, a Ruby Red. Thus, the grapefruit reference.
Several trends have emerged as I've been opening these packs, and that's what I'd like to share today.

What's the Dilly With the Phillies?
The Phils cards came fast and furious in the early going, with a gold Shane Vic-tic-tic-toc-to-reeee-no, a Ryan Howard Lisa Frank Diamond Stars, and a Diamond Duos featuring Roy Halladay. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something I intensely dislike about Victorino. I'll let you know if I figure out what it is.

...And the Home... of the... Braaaaaaaaaves!
The Braves came correct in the Ocean Spray with no fewer than four inserts. That Dan Uggla is the Ruby Red, a pretty blah insert with a tart aftertaste. I also got a Murphy Gumball, a Mathews Not Exactly the Cards Your Mom Threw Out So We're Calling Them Something Else, and a Jason Heyward Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper Sticker.
Here's a card I would LOVE to see Topps make: Even though there's a one-letter difference, Heyward needs to be flown to a town called Hayward, Wisconsin. The town is home to the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame, the star of which is a four-story-tall, 150-ft-long fiberglass muskie with an observation deck in the mouth. I say, get Heyward to Hayward and snap a picture of him in the mouth. Make it an insert set, "Caught in the Tourist Traps."

Oh, and I Will Never Forgive Paul Molitor
Punk-ass bitch on back-to-back intra-pack inserts wack! Yount had one thing Molitor never had: a loyal bone in his body. Considering how often Molitor was hurt, yet the Brewers still stuck by him...

The only card up for trade is Ruby Red Uggla, if you're so inclined.

1 comment:

Chris Harris said...

I didn't get the Lisa Frank reference, so yeah, I Googled it.

F-U Thorzul.