Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Thorzul on ESPN.com

Okay, for the record that's three transgressive posts in a row. Sorry about that. I was having a bad evening, but things are all better now. I still stand behind my opinions, though. And I never really expect anyone to care what I think. If you're looking for thoughtful commentary, this is the last outpost. I mean, come on, I have a post featuring baseball cards talking to each other in broken French. Lighten up.

On the happier side of things, I have some exciting news to share. Yours truly, Thorzul, was quoted in an article today on ESPN.com. Go check it out. And scroll down past the Dykstra article until you see a baseball card.

Last week I got an email from a Senior Writer at ESPN, Jim Caple. He told me he was putting together a piece about the cartoons on the backs of vintage Topps cards, and he was looking for a few of my thoughts. My work week was pretty hectic, so I was only able to get back to him this past weekend. It turned out that he loved some of the stuff I had written, and he would do a follow-up in his column this week. I had certainly picked the right time to be in the middle of a series of posts on card-toons, huh?

I think it was the kid reporter following the band Stillwater around in the movie Almost Famous who promised he would quote them "warmly and accurately." I feel these words (along with "generously") perfectly describe the job done by Mr. Caple?

More of this in the future? Time will tell.

5 comments:

caljr3000 said...

That's really cool! Now someone needs to teach Mr. Caple how to use a "link" to help direct people to your baseball card blog, or "web log", which can be found on the "internet" (a series of tubes).

dayf said...

Wooo! You're famous now! I've gotten quoted once. By a college paper. They butchered the quote.

I really need to find a captain midnight card now. That toon is fantabulous.

Derek said...

WOOOHOO!

madding said...

Congrats! Strange about the lack of hyperlink...

smedcards said...

Kick ass! My card blog was featured on UniWatch a couple of times (Paul Lukas is my God) and the stat rates really show when it spiked, but I think I got a few additional readers because of it!