Sunday, July 10, 2011

The 100 Best Finds in a 30-Dollar Lot: #58

1987 Leaf #35 Bo Jackson Rated Rookie

Once the Mets-Giants game ends tonight, we will have officially arrived at the All-Star Break. Tomorrow is the Home Run Derby, Tuesday night is the feature attraction, and Wednesday is the sleepiest day in professional sports.

At this point in the season, I often find myself reminiscing about All-Star Games of the past. I think the earliest one I can recall is the 1988 game played in Cincinnati. Chris Sabo sticks out for some reason, maybe because he was a hometown hero.

I have a much clearer memory of the 1989 game, hosted by the California Angels. That was the one Bo Jackson led off with a home run off Rick Reuschel. I watched the game in Fargo, North Dakota, visiting family friends on a trip that took us as far as Wyoming. A truly memorable All-Star moment.

No comments: