Thursday, July 14, 2011

The 100 Best Finds in a 30-Dollar Lot: #62

2011 Topps Kimball Champions #KC-50 Miguel Cabrera

I actually thought about offering this card up for trade, but reconsidered. While there probably wouldn't have been any takers, part of me realized that, while I'm not actively collecting this mini insert set, it'll probably be something I'll slowly add to throughout the years.

Reflectively, it was a nice little Ghost World moment. It made me think about that scene where the guys from Seymour's apartment complex are having a joint garage sale. During one scene, the character "Joe" (played by Tom McGowan) is in the middle of selling a taxidermal statue of a snake fighting with a mongoose. When the customer (Thora Birch's Enid) inquires about the price, Joe has a visual pang of future regret, should he decide to part with this treasure, and declares that it's not officially for sale.

So, regarding the Cabrera, as well as the mongoose and the snake: "I might have to hang onto that for the time being."

1 comment:

SpastikMooss said...

Classic film. One of by best friends in Undergrad looked just like Thora Birch in this movie.