Saturday, July 23, 2011

1971-72 Topps Basketball Design Contest Winner

The deliberation process took place as follows: Once all of the entries were submitted, I opened all of the images from the folder in which they were housed, and I looked over them carefully. After that, I went with my gut feeling regarding which of them would best represent the set I was trying to present. And then finally, I showed all of the images to my wife. Without any input from me, it turned out we independently agreed on the winner.

Grand Prize
Spankee @ My Cardboard Mistress


Spankee's entry had pretty much everything I was looking for. The title of the set was prominent, the design was simple and oh-so-clean, and the font was spectacular. There were slight differences between the font I originally presented and the one he ended up using, but I actually like it better. It's more legible without losing the '70s vibe. Spankee also employed a tactic that Devan later used, the original player name font, including the first letter of each word (or name) in red. The drop shadow on "Topps Basketball" is also a nice touch.
The pink square is reminiscent of the cards as well. On the originals, the photo backgrounds are all painted out and replaced with a single-color square. Pink was not uncommon for the 1971-72 set.

In retrospect, I'm really glad that Spankee won. I don't know what took me so long, but I finally got around to adding his blog to the top tier of my blog links. Judging from the comments he leaves and the posts he produces, he seems like the kind of guy that would be fun to hang out with. I mean, he opened his box of Allen & Ginter on video while drinking Kraken rum and Coke. What's not to like? (By the way, that's pretty much the only mixed drink I'll touch. My rum of choice is usually Sailor Jerry, but I'm curious to tackle the Kraken one of these days. Feed me any other cocktail, and I have the tendency to get stoopid.) Come to think of it, Spankee seems like a solid replacement for Motherscratcher. Remember that guy? I used to love the Achiever Card Blog, but there hasn't been a new post since October.

All in all, I'd say this was a successful little contest. The cover image looks great in the binder, and now I just need to get serious about building the set. Spankee, congratulations, I will be in touch with you regarding your prize.

1 comment:

Spankee said...

Awesome! I love anything that inspires me to be artistic. I am very happy to be in the top tier of the blog list, too. I had to change the font. The "T" in your font just didn't work for me. I'm glad you now have a good cover for your binder. Of course, you had better start working on that set. The cover says "complete set" not "half-assed 88% of the set". I guess it should actually be "88%-assed", but whatever. Thanks for the contest.