Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The 100 Best Finds in a 30-Dollar Lot: #69

1989 Donruss #33 Ken Griffey, Jr. Rated Rookie

Good-NESS, this is still the only '89 Griffey card I've ever owned. I had one of these back in the day that I treated like gold. My family even bought a fireproof safe to store important documents, and this was one of the few things I got to put in there. I've never owned a Fleer or Upper Deck rookie, or a Topps Traded, or a Donruss Baseball's Best, or Donruss "The Rookies," or his Score Traded or Young Superstars.

I guess this is merely symptomatic of where I grew up. In 1989, Topps and Donruss were the only games in town. (And by town, I mean "drugstore within walking distance.") I've never opened a pack of 1989 Fleer, and I wasn't exactly in the right tax bracket to even think about Upper Deck.

1 comment:

Spankee said...

Nice. That's THE card that started me in collecting.