Sunday, July 10, 2011

Jeff Tarango: Best Rant Ever

Back in the early days of the internet, before we'd been blessed with what Patton Oswalt likes to call "Everything That Ever Was, Available Forever," I spent a lot of time trying to track down the one video clip that rises above all others. I'm referring, of course, to the 1995 Jeff Tarango meltdown.

I must have stopped looking for this clip around two years ago. Since then, it looks like several videos have featured part or all of his on-court tantrum. If you want a more complete look at this event, check out what looks to be an official CBS Sports feature narrated by Dick Enberg.

My new favorite quote from the outburst: "Can you call the supervisor, please, I have a big beef."

If you have a chance, watch the longer clip today. It really has it all: Tarango's accusations of umpire corruption, Tarango's weird European wife, hearsay that the umpire was trying to pick up two women at a party... everything.

Jeff Tarango, you are the greatest athlete the world has ever known.

2 comments:

Doc said...

It WAS an ace.

Tony Brown said...

He's surprisingly calm for someone storming off court and then again at the press conference after leaving the biggest match of his life.
I'm really suprised I never said that to a ref - "You're the most corrupt official in the game! And you can't do that."